Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 socupe non turbo, and it has been thru hell and back and has been a pendable car for the last 4 or 5 years. I dont want to get rid of it but I need some help to keep it runnin. Recently, it wont hold a charge, and dies as soon as I idle for a minute or so and then the battery is dead. I can charge it and it will run for about 20 mins and then die again, The battery is new and had the alternator tested, and he said it was running at 12.9 or 13.9, I am thinking the alternator is gone. The terminals are good and secure. Sometimes when it's running well, you have to keep turning the key to get it to fire, so maybe something in ignition pulling extra juice?
Also, I threw it on diagnostics last year and the said I had a bad overdrive switch. They supposedly replaced it and it worked for about a month until I lost top gear. If I have the overdrive button in, it just revs and wont go into gear. I am hoping it's just the switch, but have heard stores about bad transmissions on these models. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I brought this car back from being totaled and am not looking to give up on it just yet.
thanks
JEof

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Sounds like its definitely time for a alternator. Get a new one. Im not sure about the overdrive maybe someone else can help there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I have to go out of town but am gonna have t worked on in week, I think the lternator is a start, and he is gonna check out the o/d switch. If anyone has had similar problems or knows somethin about it, all info is appreciated,
thanks
jeoff

·
Registered
176 Posts
i had the same problem on my 93 excel with the od switch.. my tranny was gone
off it would rev and not goin into 3rdth but on it would go 123 and not forth
and im kinda havin same probs with startin.. sometimes id have to crank the key a couple times to get it to fire.. but i got my chargin system tested and it was great
so yea.. doubt it is my alt.. got new bat, starter.. bat terminals, ecu, starter relay,
ima replace the ignition switch fuse see if that does it.

[Edited by Excel2NR on Dec 26, 2005 10:44 PM]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts