Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to go back to my roots and purchase a Neon as a new track car.

I picked her up on Dec 5th, 2007. She is a 1998 Coupe with 65 000kms, DOHC 2.0L and 5sp of course. That night I install some mods I had laying around

55m Throttle Body, AF/X Race header, Exhaust, Solid motor mounts and some other stuff I can't remember but plays a role.

Pretty much the next day parts started rolling in.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scored a set of OEM ACR Hubs and bearings.. Well I actually went to the dealer and bought them. Got to love having factory race support.

I wanted to change all the gaskets on the car.

I moved the battery to the trunk to free up space under the hood

Since this car will be tracked I opted to replace the copper rad and got this thicker aluminum rad.

Honda coolant is the only way to go

With the engine work out of the way for now while I wait for my clutch I decied to start working on the front suspension. Unfortunatly there were 2 siezed bolts.. so it took about an hour to remove the table.

Everything out of the way

·
Registered
492 Posts
even though neons are a crap car i do like them, the rt acr and srt4 are cools cars, your looks clean and will be a fun car when you finish, dont forget to replace that oil pan with one that has some baffleing, many guys have spun bearings because of the lack of baffels in the pan, slalom runs will slosh the oil to the pan walls and the pickup tube picks up no oil and causes main bearing and connecting rod damage. keep up the great work and keep us posted, at least me anyways

·
Registered
492 Posts
different crank pully too, nice

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've worked with Neons and Eclipses so I'm quite comfortable with the 420A engine. They respond well to boost, so I would definitely recommend you look into that. With a bit of a bore and a stroker kit, you can make it into somewhat of a low torque BEAST!

Howie~

·
Registered
453 Posts
You could try the srt4 motor & tranny swap. It has been done though.
very fast & fun:)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I do like old neons, nice and light. I can not say I like what alot of people do to the poor cars....eek

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Jeeeeeeeeeeed!

I have a (hot) friend who has a 1998 Neon... Involved on a head on, a T-Bone, a rear end, and several rear ends on her part...

That ****ing Neon is practiaclly as strong as a Pony! I don't know, but...in a head on w/Pony and Neon (a la cardigans) I dunno who would win in a head on!

So far

Pony > Chevy Venture

Ainsi, c'est comment le Pony gagne contre vous aven un G4CS... surtout avec traction arriere... l)

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Jed118 said:
I have a (hot) friend who has a 1998 Neon
Funny, I as well have a hot friend who has a neon...

:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts