Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an intermittent electrical power surges that last anywhere from 10 secs to 2 minutes when I drive. All the lights get super bright, fan speeds up, etc. and recently, the surge triggered my "Check Engine" light.

I talked to a few friends and an electrical mechanic about this problem, and everyone said, it's the alternator... so I swapped the alternator for a refurbushied alternator. I tried the car and the new alternator didn't fix the problem, but make it worst, by giving the electrical system EVEN MORE POWER - and fried my headlamps and triggered "Check Engine" again. :ermm:

Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at next??

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Holy crap I thought my accent only did that it was a pain in the ass I couldnt drive at night because my headlights would blow. I thought it was the alternator to because when I had mine replaced thats when it started surging maybe its something to do around the alternator. I cant tell you anything because I got pissed and sold my accent because of that but I know its a surge protector and I thought that was located in the accents alternator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, in the Technical Service Bulletin it says to replace the alternator and everything should be fine... but its worse now than it was before I replaced it.
Do you think I purchased a faulty refurbished alternator, and/or should I return it and go for OEM instead??

I experienced all of the symptoms listed below! Thanks for steering me in the right direction. btw... does anyone know how to reset the diagnostics codes??

Technical Service Bulletin
description:

Some 1999 Accents may experience some or all of the following conditions:

SRS (Airbag) Light is ON and diagnostic code B1111 (Battery Voltage -- High) is stored in the SRS controlmodule.
Customers may report that the head lamps become very bright, and return to normal.
Diagnostic code P0563 (System Voltage High) may be stored in the ECM.
Head lamp bulbs (one or both) are inoperative.

CAUSE: At times the generator may produce an excessive output voltage.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

If a vehicle experiences the above described condition, replace the generator.
Clear diagnostic codes B1111 and P0563, if present.
Operate the vehicle and confirm that the SRS and check engine warning lights do not illuminate and that no other codesare set.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I thought it was the alternator when my accent did it it was from a remanufactured alternator as well just switch the alternator again and see what that does its a pain in the ass but good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had the exact same problem that's how I knew about it. I don't know what kind of alternator was put in but I haven't had a problem since so I suspect faulty (new) alternator. Now you said that it is a referbished alternator so that could be the problem right there as I'm not sure if they actually replace the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I dont think they do the voltage regulator it could be possible just to have someone fix it then replace the whole thing I dont know my accent went through 3 alternators so I said screw it and then sold it

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think the reason they recommend just replacing the whole alternator is it's just as costly (labour wise) to take the whole alternator apart and replace the regulator. That and I'm not sure if the regulator is available separately, at least not easily. But I must say the alternator is probably the weakest link in the whole car. So far I've had to replace the alternator and replace/fix the mounting system 4 times.

[Edited by da_moose on Nov 23, 2005 12:43 AM]

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ya it sucks. But I found out I had no skidplate after I sold the car so I am guessing the water kept getting up in the alternator and messing it up. I had put a new optima battery in my car and from it surging so much it fried it in a month that was a waist of over a 100 dollars on a fancy battery.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yeah that happened to me, the battery (even though it was fairly new) had a shorted cell in it. Changed it and everything was great. Still on the stock alt. actually....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I exchanged my rebuilt alternator on warranty for another rebuilt one and this one works great. No more power surges... I guess they forgot to replace the voltage regulator in the other rebuilt alternator :??:

Took this "opportunity" to replace my fried headlamps with some SilverStars :D

Now I just have to get rid of that damn Airbag warning light!!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Congrats man another problem fixed! it kind of feels like we a re super heros or something lol.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Those silverstar bulbs are sweet

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ya I heard they were sweet but I didnt buy any nice bulbs because I went through like 30 dollars in bulbs a week.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah, when they rebuild them they are supposed to put a new regulator in. Depends on where you got it how good it is. Napa has good alternators and never really had a problem with them, and I worked for them for 3 years and very low defective rate.

I have an amped up alternator and have to use an external regulator, not really that big of a deal, but they used the factory hyundai alt case and a ford regulator, never had problems with it since feb of 01 (yes, within 2 months of having my car the factory alt went bye bye.

Going to get silverstars for mine soon, tried the aftermarket hot rated ones and they only last maybe 6 months.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Its not the place that matters were you get it at. I got mine done at a toyota scion etc dealership because I new a guy there I trusted and they couldnt even handle putting a alternator in a hyundai.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts