Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a very hard stop the Right Front brake locks way before the Left front. The car has been like this since new. Do all of the X3s have this problem and has anyone tried to fix it? I was thinking of removing some of the RF pad material to lessen the braking force on that wheel.

·
Registered
737 Posts
brake lockup has nothing to do with the brakes unless you have a caliper sticking, it is seized, bad proportioning valve or a collapsed line. these faults are pretty easy to diagnose and you would feel them even when off the brakes.

If you locking up the tires on the car now, run a stickier tire and it will help the problem. The only other ways to help this problem are shifting brake bias to the rear by means of a proportioning valve, or changing the ammount of work the rear brakes are doing by pad/shoe choice or the changing the size of the rotor/caliper/drum in the rear.

I'm running tib equipment on the front of my x3 which doesn't help brake proportion at all and i'd probably be just as well off with stock x3 brakes but they work well in heat dissipation and the pad choices are better. I do lock my fronts up pretty easily even on r-comp tires but I think this is because of the ammount of negative camber I run on the front in combination with a large offset in brake torque front to rear.

with oem equivalent pads on my lc the only real time I have to worry about locking up the front is in violent weight shift transitions like coming out of a slalom into a hairpin or 90 degree turn. Again, the increased negative camber doesn't help much here on this car either.

in the end tires will be the biggest factor in your braking

shaving your pads will do nothing besides shortening your pad life. The compound of the pad will still be the same.

If you have some nice summer tires now then try a less agressive pad or just practice more with your threshold braking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts