Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in an article on this board that the Hyundai ECU is very smart and will try to retain it's stock factory setting's no matter what bolt on we put on the car..header's, exhaust or even pulley's...

I need to know what the most cost conscious or the most effective method can be used to allow the engine to use the bolt-on's to it's full potential...

I've read that disabling the factory setting module or the EEprom will help some.
and what difference is that and a reflash?

and is the ecu product from shark Racing worth the money?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The computer will always continue to run the engine to its only known efficient parameters. This is how the MFI control system works. The computer, however cannot tell what you have done to the engine in terms of basic bolt ons, as long as it does not alter the air/fuel ratio in any way.

Headers will tune the exhaust flow to where there is a constant flow to help the scavenging effect. The computer has no way of knowing this. "High flow" intakes alow a cooler more dense air charge which the computer adjusts to by adding more fuel, thus making more power.

The car may not even run if the EEPROM is disabled. Electronically Erasable Programed Read Only Memory is what the computer uses to run its open/closed loop parameters, as well as all of OBD II diagnostics.

I dont know anything about the shark racing ecm, but for things like intakes, headers, pulleys, ground kits, big ass throttle bodies, and bolt ons that do not affect how the engine mechanically runs I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Its when you start adding high lift/duration cams, changing the engines compression, altering displacement, machining cylinder heads ect ect that you should start tinkering with the electrons IMO8D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think if you take your car to a tuning dyno shop they can just modify your codes in your stock ecu with the same effects as the sharkracing ecu's...

·
Registered
281 Posts
you couldent be more wrong accentuner. the factory hyundai ecu cant be reprogramed (yet! i am working on this!!!!), only reset.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there some kind of chip programmer that I can buy to modify the ecu..something like superchip's maybe?
i just need something done to the ecu so that it doens't try to stop gain from my Bolt on's.

My "*******" friend has a mac tool's scanner and he said he pulled out an additional 9 horse's from his 4G64 powered Avenger just by adjusting the engine timing...

·
Registered
281 Posts
it isnt going against your boltons, its the opposite. its relearning to run the engine to optimum performance and fuel economy. as long as you arent going way over what the computer thinks is right for the sensors (and you would know because you would have a CEL). as for your friends mac scanner, if its one of the really REALLY expensive ones, he can probably change stuff like timing and idle, as well as be able to read everything about the engine. 9 horsepower, i doubt. superchips uses an eeprom programmer (you can build/buy one online for really cheap) the trick is knowing what to change, they have software that will tell them what parameters to change for what settings. like a hondata/uberdata/turboedit/CROME utility we use on hondas. i am working on decoding the hyundai ecu's programming language, the downside is, its not my top priority.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if i go with a eeprom reprogrammer..i can change the default setting' the ecM would go to for backup settings?..am i right so far?

if i am..then this a question for everyone..what's a good recommeneded eeprom programmer i can buy?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have the whole I/H/E with underdrive pulleys and i get a CEL saying my 02 sensors are bad and my ECT or something is bad even though i changed all of those sensors after getting the code. But to me, as long as the car runs good im ok with it for now. But if accenttunner is right and a pro can help me reprogram the ECU so it wont throw a CEL, i wouldnt mind going there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
early accents had them after the flex pipe. late ones have one on the manifold, and after the flexpipe. and no, you cant just buy an eeprom burner. lots of stuff use eeproms. you need a program to decipher what is ON the eeprom. but. to buy all that equipment and spend all that time/money for you to do it for just your car, you are better off going with a megasquirt standalone.

*edit* oh. and yeah, gutting your cat = cel, and engine running shitty. would that be an EGR code ravin? and gutting your cat gains you POSSIBLY .05 hp. maybe. if that. stock engines dont need gutted cats to run well. hell, my y8 put down damn near identical numbers @10psi with and without the cat. so.. dont gut your cats guys, all it does is make the car smell like ****, way too loud, run like ass, and fail emissions. to get rid of the code you can buy 02 sensor simulator. they are about 50 bucks on summit racing, OR you can get one on ebay for really cheap. all it is, is a few resistors.

[Edited by Pussykatt on Dec 19, 2005 11:08 AM]

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I still have the cat convertor on my car...its a catco i think its called...the car runs great and is really quiet, you can hear my car in one of the posts in the showroom forum. What else do you think can do this? I thought it was because of the high flow that my CEL went on. Also the code is ETC something like engine control sensor, but i replaced it with a new one once i saw those codes.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
A code for a specific sensor does not mean that sensor itself is bad. All its telling you is that that circuit with that sensor in it has failed. It can be anything from a short to ground, to an open somewhere.

As for the ecms, i guess you can try and spend as much money as you can but with simple bolt on parts its really not necessary. I mean how much of a gain do you want from replacing filters, and hanging exhaust pipes on the motor. As long as you dont modify the four strokes of the engine, its not really doing anything. Most of the power production comes from the cylinder head design of the engine, as well as its valvetrain. hanging **** on the outside of it will basically only make it sound cool.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]
is there some kind of chip programmer that I can buy to modify the ecu..something like superchip's maybe?
i just need something done to the ecu so that it doens't try to stop gain from my Bolt on's.

My "*******" friend has a mac tool's scanner and he said he pulled out an additional 9 horse's from his 4G64 powered Avenger just by adjusting the engine timing...
[/body]
There was a chip out there that supposedly raises the HP to about 105 and the rev limiter is removed. I don't think they offer it any more though. It was called Powerchip Group.

Here's some info.
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=66080

·
Registered
311 Posts
The powerchip is easily available(at least in aus). You can't flash the hyundai chips as far as I've ever heard,the data is encrypted and Hyundai apparently can tell if you try...The powerchip is actually SOLDERED in.It's available direct or through a dealer(look on their site) or from PSC is australia.If you can flash it,I think it actually needs to be taken out(surface mount components)
I'm getting one in the next few weeks so(should be jan 15th at the latest I HOPE) I'll let you know how it goes.(ecm needs 48 hour turnaround I believe for fitting too-but gives me time to paint my flaking rims white) I have a G-tech Pro SS and a convenient 2km long strip of road about 4km away....;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts