Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so firstly... I love this forum... I've been reading over a few topics in the past and have already learnt a lot about cars in general, a few things about Hyundais (lifters tend to jam, etc) and some even more specific things about Accents (AlphaII engine, etc).

I have a few questions, some related to maintenance and one or two things which I want to have installed on my car, but have been cost prohibitive since previously I've never really thought of doing it myself.. so here goes
1-) When I accelerate uphill in a high gear (3 instead of 2), a rattling/vibrating noise comes out from under the body. First dealership, found "Gears grinding and noisy" but they said "Found wrong fluid in transmission" and asked me for $1,600 to replace the transmission (the car is still under warranty). Second took it to a local mechanic and he said the problem was just a vibrating exhaust and had nothing to do with the gears. Third took it to a dealership and they didn't find a problem the first time. The second time I took it to them they said its probably the Flex pipe and ordered a new one.. get it next week to see if that solves the vibrating noise. Wanted your opinion on:
1a) "Found wrong fluid in transmission" - How do they check this.. they told me over the phone it was non-Hyundai transmission fluid? Do I need to get a transmission fluid changed to fix things (the car was bought second hand at 32k miles and I don't think the previous owner touched the transmission fluid with > 32k miles on it, and I definitely didn't at under 45k miles)? Is this BS especially since they charged me a ~$100 inspection fee due to the wrong fluid and it not being under warranty?
1b) What is your opinion on the rattling/vibrating noise from under the car (I ask in case the new flex pipe doesn't fix things -- optimism is awesome)?
2-) Is it possible ... (guess anything is possible) ... how difficult (and expensive) is it to install a tachometer on my Accent '04? I've gotten pretty used to when I need to change gears, but a tach would definitely be nice.
3-) Do they have maintenance manuals for the 2004 Accents? I'm talking about something for the average Joe or person trying to get into car maintenance, not the Hyundai manuals which seems more geared towards experienced mechanics or modders (which are useful and I found linked from this site -- hmaservice.com)?

Appreciate any help or info you guys have. Thanks :D:D
-Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
i dont know about the vibration but the tach is really easy i did it with some help of my old man. just a feel spliced wires. one bolt. one screw. and one hole to drill thats really small. or jsut velcro it. its really not hard and i got mine for like 20 bucks its small with no shift light but it tells me all i need to know. otherwise its like 100 bucks for a big one with a shift light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ozzyovergod,

Thanks for the reply. Mind me asking which tachometer you bought? Also do the installation instructions come with it, or is there some kind of wiring diagrams, etc you need?

Regards,
-Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
it was the sunpro super tach II its small like 2.5 3 inches somewhere in there, it does have a wiring diagram. but take out the gage cluster and on the back of it theres the two plugs with wires going into it, pick the one on the left, and theres a grey wire pin id # 8, tap into that for rpm signals, a light wire for the light to turn on and off with the lights, power from anything, and ground to the chassis, you'll need to drill to attach it, but its worth it. and when i did it the check engine light came on, but thats cause i drew power from that wire, then changed it, but it turned off when i reset the ecu.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
umm. well i would have your motor mounts checked. and yes, the type of fluid can void your warranty. i know i did my own trasmission for about 400ish tops. im now getting the other rebuilt for a second one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts