Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've been doing some autocross racing I've put some more thought and effort into determining the right time to shift in my Accent. I figured that I would share my research and opinions on the subject. This is for my car specifically, but you can do the same thing yourself for your car if desired. If you have a 1.6l Accent this should be close enough to be useful for you too.

My Accent's power mods:
SRI
Evofusion 4-2-1 header
custom exhaust
phenolic spacer

My Accent's rev limiter RPM's:
1st: 30
2nd: 55
3rd: 82
4th: 108
5th: 135 (but no I can't go fast enough to hit it lol)

My Accent's Dyno:

Now here's a graph I've made to determine my shift points based on my dyno and my RPM's at each MPH in each gear. The small version is hard to read at best, but you can click on this link to see a more legible full sized version: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/187sks/Accent/AccentPB.jpg

Any questions or comments?

·
Registered
38 Posts
so shift in between 4000 and 5500? that sounds about right. it dies right quick after 5500 for me at least.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The key is to keep it between around 4000 and 5500 for as much of the time as you can. So hopefully you shift at 5500 and the next gear is at 4000.

·
Registered
453 Posts
187sks do you actually feel the engine power "fall" after 5500 rpm's?
I feel like mine pulls to the redline (definately not a rocket)
I can see on paper what you mean but, do you feel it?:)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On every gear except first yeah I can feel it start to run out of steam. It's not bad all the way up to 6250 but it does pull worse than at horsepower peak.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'll have to pay closer attention to see if mine is the same way. I mainly notice a "bogg" if I overshoot the throttle more than anything.:)

·
Registered
737 Posts
well in autox, most of the courses I run(most in general) will be 2nd gear courses. This is good for us because it keeps us in the meat(if you can call 100ft/lbs that) of the powerband for a good portion of the time. On some of my faster courses I get stuck between gears. I have downshifted into first some times and most of the time at cumberland I have to upshift into third because I run out of revs(i'm limited to 6k in the 1.5) in second.

From your powerband your still better off shifting at redline because you want to get the most out of the gear you are in.

you're still making 95 hp at your fuel cut so its not like your power is falling off rapidly like a lot of stock turbo cars.

First will usually be useless on an autocross course. I usually shift into second as soon as I get a good start because most of the time I don't have enough room to get the most out of it and shifting up in a slalom or sweeper would be very difficult. Only in very tight corners where you lose a lot of momentum is where downshifting into first comes in handy for me. On a flowing course I just keep the momentum up so I can keep the revs up. If the revs drop to much i'm toast.

my advice is to rev the piss out of it and keep up your momentum. You torque peak is at 2600 so if you can keep your revs above this you'll be able to pull out of corners just fine. On faster courses topping out at 55 in 2nd sucks so you'll have to feel it out. Hitting the revlimiter is going to kill your speed going forward so sometimes it will benefit you to upshift to third early to stop this, sometimes it won't hurt riding the rev limiter some. You will have to try the 1st gear technique, sometimes it works sometimes it just slows you down too much.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's about the same thing I've found in autox. These shift points are more for continuing acceleration not autox. I rarely have to shift into 3rd even though 2nd bounces off the limiter at 55mph. Sometimes I hit rev limiter but I'll just let it sit there unless I'll get quite a bit more speed if I shift. I've shifted into 1st a few times too but not too often. There was one course that I had to shift constantly, 1-2-1-2-3-2-1-2 over the 55 second course.

I made the graphic for myself and found the weak spots in the gearing that I expected would be there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts