Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Accent 2002 Front wheel noise

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  RoughWaves 
#1 ·
So I just bought this car second hand. Took it for a drive and found that everything was fine except that it was quite noisy. Previous owner said that was normal and the mechanic gave it the all clear, but the more I drive it the more I think that guy was on crack.

The details.
Whiiring noise from the front left and front right, possibly from the wheel wells, that sounds a lot like those a wind-up toy. The noise starts up at around 40km/h and increases in pitch in direct proportion to my increase in speed. It's louder when I am not accelerating and it happens wether or not I'm in gear. Less pressure on the tires (like the inside tire on a tight turn, or the peek of a bump) decreases the noise.

I have some ideas, but I want to ask the pros while I find a new mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
lol i'm not a pro, but step on the brakes very slightly and see if the sound goes away. i have the same problem as you and i'm not sure what it is.

same symptoms and everything but when i apply brake pressure the sound stops which makes me think it's a bent rotor or something to do with the pads. may get you in the right direction.

#6 ·
Right, so, it's not the brakes thing as suggested above.

Wheel bearings was definately my guess, although I'm having a hard time working my head around the odds of both bearings failing.

I tried getting a Haynes manual for my car today, but it turns out they don't make them for Hyundai Accents past '98, which was pretty disappointing. I find them extremely useful. They do an Elantra up to the 2001 model, though, would that be any use at all? Anyone know of an alternative?

Along the same lines, I'm looking to DIY this bearing replacement. I've done rotors, brakes and cv joints before, with my haynes on the civic, is the bearing replacement out of that league?

Thanks again.

#7 ·
It is possible for both bearing to go around the same time, especially if one is as bad as you have stated. Doing the bearings isn't too bad. They are pressed into the knuckle so to do them right you will have to bring them to a garage and have them press them out and press the new ones back in. You can do it without a press, although there is a greater likelyhood of damaging the knuckle and the new bearing. Bascilly remove the knuckle from the car and have someone press it out and in for you.

#10 ·
RoughWaves said:
Yeah, that wheel bearing press tool is 230$+...
I guess it's off to my new mechanic.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be back next time I have problems :)

Haha Gregster, you're from in Hudson? I'm on-island. See you on the 40!
LOL I was about to say I know a guy that can help you.

Call my friend Steve at KNS Autosport- 514-705-2145.

I would change it for you but I stopped doing side jobs at home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.