Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be possible to use the components of the gsx's awd system to transfer into the accent and make it awd? how much custom fabrication would be needed? has this been attempted? thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
anything can be done but thats a hellava lot of work to do that. you definitly going to need a **** load of fabrication skills for one, money and another car to drive cus this wont be done for a long time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
86stellar said:
anything can be done but thats a hellava lot of work to do that. you definitly going to need a **** load of fabrication skills for one, money and another car to drive cus this wont be done for a long time
Not much "tech" to that post but i have a mustang as dd, this is my project car. I would not be doing fabrication myself i would pay a shop.

WytchDctr said:
it would be cheaper and safer IMO to put an accent body on top of a gsx...
Cheaper i doubt seeing as i'd have to buy the accent body ($5-800) and a good running gsx is like 3500 minimum...

As for safer i don't see why that would be at all. Using parts from one car on another car isn't "unsafe" as long as they fit. So you don't really gain anything by putting the body on a different car.

Medic_01 said:
it's been done before in Australia.
this LC accent does 9 seconds.

AutoSpeed - Accelerated Accent
Thanks. I think it goes to show that it probably wouldnt be as hard as everyone thinks. If the GSR axles, and rear end pretty much bolt up, i don't see any major problems aside from shortening or lengthening specific parts.

If anyone else can shed some more specifics please do!

·
Registered
106 Posts
merge it with a lancer evolution.
that would be sick, 271hp--stock.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
They dont just fit. Not even close.

As far as being safe? The suspension was never meant for an AWD car. Then your unibody is going to have to be cut up to make room for a driveshaft and rear diff. Good luck NOT weakening the car doing that. If you want to gut the entire underside of an accent like that yellow car and re-engineer the thing. Go for it. To do this you better own a shop or be some bored rich guy that was to do something really odd.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Channeling the underside wouldnt be THAT expensive and since you're not messing with the frame, it does not compromise the integrity of the car. As in the AutoSpeed accent, rear suspension would likely be swapped.

Swapping a full evo setup would be way too expensive. That's why i'm trying to merge setups. But I'm not sure that the accent tranny would be compatible at all with the awd system. Any light on this?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Monocoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The accent has no frame. Everything in the shell of our cars acts to support the rest. It can be done, but its not going to be cheap.

The evo trans has the transfer case/unit/whateveryouwanttocallit built into it. So no.. you would alteast have to use the entire trans with some sort of custom bell housing.

As far as it bolting to the beta? I would assume no but I dont think anyone has tried it. :confused:

·
Registered
492 Posts
to find out for sure you would have to do some measurements for the bellhousing and compare the beta to it, i dont think it will fit but i cant say for sure as i havent had the two side by side to compare, if its close you can make an engine plate to bolt up to the motor and have the holes for the tranny to bolt up. the mitsu tranny and all wheel drive system would be the way to go because it would be half the problem solved plus all those componets were ment to work with each other. you would have to fabricate mounting points for the rear crossmember to mount the suspension, axles and diff and reinforce it but that can be all done too. only some drive shaft changes im sure would have to be done but if you give the right measurements a driveshaft shop can fabricate one for you. its just a lot of work, time and money but if you have a second car and you have space and time or resources then go for it if its what you want to do. the reinforcing isnt the hard thing its making it all work properly.
its a monumental task but a rewarding one if completed, if you are sure you can finish this then do it. i have had people tell me lots of negative things with my swaps and there they are working when they tell me it cant be done. mind you i didnt fabricate all wheel drive i have had a lot of fabricating so i can only assume how much work your project will intail but good luck to you if you do it and post up some pics because i would be interested in how it all turns out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya it'll be a big project but i think it's what i'm going to persue since its my project car and i have all winter to build it until the tracks are open again. My thinking is:

2000lb car + 300hp + Awd = rediculous

·
Registered
492 Posts
no complaints on this end, like i said keep us posted, or er me anyways. would love to see this build up good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts