Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car is most likely totaled, I've been out looking for another car. For some odd reason today in school, since I do absolutely nothing, I came up with a plan to get a Beta Accent up and running.

Now here are some of my ideas and it is your job to read and tell me if I'm a complete moron, or if I'm on the right track.

Idea 1: X3 Accent, most likely a 2-door hatchback. Going to need a 5 speed manual tranny, since my Beta tranny is done. I also really would rather have the Accent tranny, because it's geared shorter, which allows the car to be quicker, rather then faster. I know the X3 will need a special fabricated motor mount.. I believe on the passenger's side, but I could be wrong, so correct me if I am. I'm also sure I'm going to need to swap my ECU and wiring harness and along with that run some type of piggy-back computer system. Also debated whether or not I wanted to shorten Tibby axles or go with Accent axles strengthened or not. From what I've read, shortening Tibby axles requires more work then strengthing the stock X3 Accent axles, so I decided on that. A/C, if the car even has the option, is out of the picture... but I can't tell you the last time I've actually used A/C in a car I've driven, and I've had 2 cars with it. Power steering is apparently still an option, but I decided to cut it out, hopefully freeing up some ponies, while at the same time not hindering the driving ability of the car.. considering it weighs only around 2000lbs anyway. Anything I'm missing, let me know.

Idea 2: LC1 Accent... again, a 5 speed. From what I understand, no special motor mount fabrication is necessary and also if you're running a MAF based Beta (which I am) you do not need to do a wiring harness swap... only an ECU swap and a piggy back system. A/C is also out the picture and I'd opt out of power steering. The biggest decision is to go with shortened Tibby axles or stock LC axles. From what I understand, the LC axles can handle some abuse, so strengthening them would only be necessary under boost-type gain situations, so most likely, I'd be running them. If I'm missing anything here, or I'm misinformed, let me know.

If I'm close to being right... it honestly looks like idea 2 is the better plan. Sure, the LC is going to cost more, but in my opinion, it's easier and nicer to work with. No wiring harness swap, no modified motor mounts or axles, and the LC is a much nicer car then the X3, and is also more widely supported then the X3 in the aftermarket parts category.

Guys, I'm new to this swap, so please, help me out. This is seriously one of my top choices for a new car, and I'd love to be one of the few who are driving around in a Beta swapped Accent.

·
Registered
310 Posts
On option one I would go for the beta tranny. The gear ratio in the accent tranny is so small that all it would do more harm then good on performance and it would probly blow up fairly quickly. The beta tranny is better because it is built to be in 2,600 to a 3000 pound car.

:rambo:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
i'm got pretty much your idea # 1... 2.0L beta with the alpha tranny in an x3.. with the 1.5 DOHC engine the wiring harness dosn't have to be swapped.. i'm running the 2.0L with the 1.5 ecu temorarly and it runs but not the greatest.. the ecu plugs in but some of the wiring has to be rewired for the 2.0L ecu.. the axles i'm runnig are the stock 1.5 axles with not problems yet... no problems with the tranny but it does help the accelerations greatly... the only moddification i had to do with the passenger mount was re-drill the hole for the bolt and also did the same on the drivers side... it is a tight fit as it's only got about 2mm between the belts and the frame...

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
If rust is a problem where you are, I'd go for an LC. A lot of the x3s around here are rusting around the rear wheels, so you'd probably have an easier time finding a really nice looking LC. I love the x3, but it's getting harder to find really nice ones.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
[body]Idea 2: LC1 Accent... again, a 5 speed. From what I understand, no special motor mount fabrication is necessary and also if you're running a MAF based Beta (which I am) you do not need to do a wiring harness swap... only an ECU swap and a piggy back system. A/C is also out the picture and I'd opt out of power steering. The biggest decision is to go with shortened Tibby axles or stock LC axles. From what I understand, the LC axles can handle some abuse, so strengthening them would only be necessary under boost-type gain situations, so most likely, I'd be running them. If I'm missing anything here, or I'm misinformed, let me know.
[/body]
Motor mounts do need to be modified for the lc, but it only consists of redrilling some holes, they mount right up. If you get a 1.6L powered accent (maf based) then you do not have to switch ecm's or harnesses. A piggiback is ideal if you are going to do some extensive modding, but it runs fine (good enough for CA emissions ;): ). You can easily keep the power steering if you want to. The stock LC axles can take one hell of a beating. i have yet to have a problem with the axles even when burnouts are a must. If I were you i would get a beta tranny rather than the lc one the LC axles plug right in.

Also, the accent weighs 2255lbs ;): It will be much easier to use the LC for the swap, and it will look nicer imo.

good luck, and may the force be with you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts