Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read wytch doctors's sticky ,and the HMA service writeup, I was just wondering how difficult it is to do the clutch with no air tools, since I don't have any, I did see a 24" breaker bar at pep boy's that I could use, with a 32mm 1/2" drive socket, I don't have a 1/2" socket set currently, so do you mostly just get a torque wrench to do all the work with. I want to do the job right and get the flywheel resurfaced as well. I was a little confused at how you get the flywheel off without spinning it by using a pry bar to lock it out do you mean a crowbar and where or how are you able to do this with 1 person?

thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
To get the pressure plate and flywheel off (and torqued back on correctly), you're gonna need one breaker bar, one pry-bar and a friend. The friend is going to hold the flywheel from spinning while you work by sticking the pry-bar in the teeth on the starter ring. You'll use the breaker bar to bust the bolts loose. You're also going to need a torque wrench to tighten the bolts back down to the proper torque specs. Get a decent one. The cheap ones aren't very accurate. Doesn't have to be a fancy digital one, but you want a brand name, not a swap-meet tool. Remember to torque the flywheel bolts in a star pattern, just like lug nuts. Also, after torquing them, you need to loosen them a little and re-torque them. This is because the first time you torque them, you're seating the flywheel. The second time you torque them, you're making sure the bolts don't back out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that makes more sense now, do you need like all 1/2" drive sockets even the 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm sockets? I think I should be able to do this, then.
thanks for you help

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You going to have an easy time until you get to those freaking flywheel bolts... those are a PITA even if you have an impact (well.. if it is a small one like mine). It can be done without one sure, just prepare for much cussing, throwing of tools, and irritation. It really comes down to how well your friend can hold the flywheel in one spot as you crank on it. Also the engine/trans mounting bolts can be a pain. If you need any more help, let us know.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
i did all the trans bolts by hand. i took the whole motor out and put in a new trans no power tools. but i did have a lift

1 - 7 of 7 Posts