Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accent Cold Air Intake Product Review and Q&A (56k warning)

Updated: 6/24/07

Note: Any views or opinions presented in this message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Hyundaiperformance.com

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Accent Cold Air Intake Product Review and Q&A (56k warning)
I decided to throw some info up on here since I've seen a lot of questions on these.

Spectre Modular Intakes--varies: These are made by a company that enables you to make your own intakes piece by piece. You can also buy a 15.00 kit that gives you just plastic pieces to mock up a kit so you can see what pieces you need to order. Than you can get a 10-15 dollars mail-in back on the plastic mock up kit. Spectre can be found at AutoZone and Checkers. You can also check out their site (For more locations and what they offer): Spectre Performance - Official Site

How does it handle in the heat you ask? I have pieces of their pipes attached to my turbo inlet (because K&N made an intake with a rubber elbow and would collapes under full boost.. cutting off air.) So I made this:

Prices on the pieces will vary. They also have a Ram Air kit that you can buy for about 20.00 and than you can buy the extra pieces and just build onto it. My turbo gets extremely hot so there is no need to worry about melting.
Here it is on a Chevy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cosmo Racing.com CAI--$79.95 : It goes from the throttle body. Moves towards the front of the car and just drops down. Nothing special. Easy to make. Way over priced by my opinion. Probably get a mufflershop to do the same thing for cheaper.. or go garbage diving in the back and pick up some extra pipe to do this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Eclipse CAI Non Turbo--$30.00 Ebay - With a cut you will make it fit any car (Auto or Stick). But this one goes into the fender well behind the fog light in that empty space to grab air from the vents in the wheel well and normal air passing by. Picture of this intake is of my car (LC2) . Only downfall I had was it rubbed on my radiator hose and ate it and leaked. So I had to buy a new hose. If I knew it was doing that I would have fitted it differently

NOTE: If you were to remove the fog light where the filter is at, you'd get some nice airflow. But i'd advise w/ someone w/o foglight (as it would look retarded w/ only 1 fog light) that just has the thing you can remove or cut to make a fog light opening. Than put some mesh behind the hole to keep bugs and rocks from hitting the filter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom-- $Varies:

My first CAI was a custom I made from some homedepot/lowes pipe. Worked pretty good actually. But pipe was only 2" or 2 1/2", your best bet it to use some 3" pipe (which I couldnt find at either place) Picture again w/ this custom CAI is of my car @ Extreme Autofest in Las Vegas.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, ASK AWAY.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Feb 1, 2006 2:19 PM]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks good. I think buying CAI is just stupid when you can make one for a fraction of the price.

By the way, nice and clean engine bay, looks good.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hmm... wonder if it would fit in my engine bay.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by DREROB
[body]
Hmm... wonder if it would fit in my engine bay.
[/body]

Just make the ness. cuts on the pipe w/ a hacksaw and you should be good.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double Post

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Mar 27, 2005 9:48 AM]

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Someone make this a sticky?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Stainless Steel
[body]
Wheres a good place to get these pipes cut?
[/body]
Just make a line where you need to cut at w/ a sharpie. Than use something like this ( adjustable hacksaw) to make the cuts:

You should know someone who has one of these laying around or something similar. If not, its a nice tool to have around for about 15.00 @ Homedepot. It what I used on my cuts.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Mar 27, 2005 11:18 AM]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm just afraid the cuts wont be straight and smooth. Unless it cuts better than I think. Plus, when you talk about cutting the pipe, do you cut it towards the top near the engine or down by the air filter?

Also, if I install this, will it void my warranty or do I need the retailer to install it for me?

[Edited by Stainless Steel on Mar 27, 2005 12:27 PM]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was talking wih a friend today and he was telling me how performance upgrades for the accent will mess up the tranny. Is this true and is there something to prevent this?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[body]
I'm just afraid the cuts wont be straight and smooth. Unless it cuts better than I think. Plus, when you talk about cutting the pipe, do you cut it towards the top near the engine or down by the air filter?

Also, if I install this, will it void my warranty or do I need the retailer to install it for me?

I was talking wih a friend today and he was telling me how performance upgrades for the accent will mess up the tranny. Is this true and is there something to prevent this?
[/body]
Cutting it is easier than you think. It doesnt take a brain surgeon to cut a pipe. The edges are going to be jagged/ruff when the cut is done. It wont be a clean slice. For the Eclipse intake you will have to make a cut lower on the longer pipe. When I get my beta swap i'll probably make a write up on the eclipse intake set-up and install (maybe a couple months)

No this will not void your warrenty. The only way you can void your warrenty is if something that you added to the car (and that the dealership can PROVE it) that damaged what ever you brought it in for fixing. Say... something is wrong with your headlights and you installed a cold air intake . They cant void the warrenty for a product that has no direct connection w/ the problem in question.

Your friend is a retard. :dead:

But after every intake/performance mod I suggest resetting the ECU. (Taking the Neg terminal off the Battery. Pressing on the brake a couple times. Than wait 15 mins. Than put the Terminal back on. Than drive hard for 1/2 hour or 15 mins.. Just so the car knows your shifting -even if automatic- and all that fun stuff).

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Mar 27, 2005 3:38 PM]

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Mar 27, 2005 3:40 PM]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you, I didn't want to buy anything until I found that out. I was worried I would have to let the warranty run out to install anything.

As for the air intake, are there instructions to remove the stock air intake and filter?

·
Registered
453 Posts
removing the stock stuff is easy, just go from the funny plastic resonators up front, which I think pull off after 2 bolts are out, then the bolts at the bottom of the air cleaner box, and then the throttle body clamp and that should be it, its pretty simple... If I can do it, well...;):

·
Registered
23 Posts
ftwvampftw, in your sig, if thats your car, did you install that grill yourself? It looks very clean and I'm wondering if its easy enough to just pop out the current grill and put the mesh one in its place?

Just on a side note, this is probably the single most helpfull place I've been to on these cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
[body]

[/body]
it really doesnt matter, i dont think you need to make the cut perfectly straight, as long as your lengths on either side dont differ more than 3/4 of an inch... i would take a pic of mine, but the damn rubber was hard as crap to get on. i think it was made for a 2 1/2 inch pipe...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The cut most definitely does not have to be straight. The cut on my old WAI was horribly jagged, to the point I spent longer with a file cleaning things up then I spent cutting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ftwvampftw: did you get the eclipse intake to quit rubbing the rad hose?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump.. should make a sticky for people new to Accents and CAI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
does that Cosmo have a spot for the MAF? Looks like one painted pipe, unlike all the other posts of CAI's which have 2 sections. :D

1 - 20 of 143 Posts