Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this may sound a little on the amature side, but what is the purpose of adjustable cam gears with a coil pack ignition system? by advancing or retarding the cams, you are not advancing or retarding the ignition. i've advanced timing with distributers, but haven't gottin into coil packs. any advice or input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
adjustable timing GEAR? on a beta, that serves no purpose, except the synchronous movement of BOTH gears... :eek: time it too hard = bent valves.

Oooh, lovin the 4G67 head... lovin it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adj. Cam Gear is basically to adjust your lift timing of your cam, making it more 'agressive' firing ...

The Ignition System is to make sure it fires on time. What's the point make it open early without the fire..

Note: It's not exactly like that, but I hope you get the general idea. It;s much more ..I believe.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cam timing can affect powerband and engine efficiency. Most 'variable cam' engines only adjust cam timing and have nothing to do with duration or lift. Toyotas VVti is just variable cam timing vs the VVti-L which has different lobes(like V-tec hondas). You 'can' use adjustable cam gears to get tubos on boost quicker or maybe gain some power in the mid range or top end depending on position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts