Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear and read all about Tiburon 11 inch brakes and the XG350 12 inch brakes re-drilled for the stock bolt pattern, but there are questions I have that I can not find answers to.

First off, the vehicle I have the 2002 Elantra GT with the aluminum wheels.

I also know some manufactures use the same tooling for some of the same types of parts and that will assist greatly in swapping parts.

I intend on picking the calipers, brackets, rotors (if they are decent enough) and if needed, the wheels all from a wrecking yard to keep the price down and will rebuild the calipers and resurface the rotors.

With either brake modification (or what ever conversion you have), which wheels will be needed?

Do I assume all I need are the calipers (re-drilled to fit the stock lug pattern), the matching calipers and the brackets that they mount to, and the rotors, and I am assuming they bolt up to the strut and have the right offset and the hydraulic brake lines bolt right up?

Could I also swap the hubs (depending on the donor vehicle and assuming the bearing fit and mount on the mount on the strut) so that I could use the wheels that were used on the car the calipers and rotors came from as I know they will fit?

What about the stock rear disk brakes on my 02 GT?
Can I swap them for the larger rear discs as well (depending on if the swap vehicle had them)?

Will they also mount to the rear strut?

Will the brake line and parking cables hook up?

With any of the brake upgrades, are there issues with the master cylinder supplying enough fluid for proper brake pedal travel?

If not, are the master cylinders also able to swap and will they fit the hydraulic lines and match the lever attachment point and match it's travel?

Some calipers look like they have larger or more pistons in the caliper and I assume they use more fluid per stroke?

There have to be more than a few here that have made these swaps and the info would help as I need to fix this in the next couple months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
- bump -

2006 elantra here... would love to see an answer to this one if anyone knows... i feel the brakes are very under powered on this car... i have the steel wheels though... I think our stock bolt pattern is 4 on 4 1/2 (4 on 113mm i think is the metric equiv.) I dont know what the bolt pattern is on the other cars...

could be wrong - cheers,
Trev

·
Registered
864 Posts
ok....first off...the rears are exactly the same as the tiburon down to the rotor size (minus lug pattern obviously) to the brake cables and calipers. so you will not need them at all..

what you will need are rotors from an 04 sonata w/abs and tib calipers and bracket...

i personally would not bother with the twin piston xg calipers...they are incredibly heavy!! and to be honest i'm not sure the master cylinder will be able to hang with those on there (premature failure that is...it will last for some time but for how long i dont know)

there is your awnser....04 sonata rotors(same 4 lug pattern 11inch), tib calipers, brackets and obviously pads.

me personally i will be doing a five lug conversion and using either the tib 17"s or the sonata 06 17"s

for a five lug you will need the rear hub and bearing and the front hubs (might as well get new front bearings while you are there...they are the same diameter as the tibs) and then the brake upgrade like mentioned...except with the tib rotors (or tuscon whichever you can find cheaper...they are the same thing)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.
My Elantra seemed to have a weak set up from the factory as they pulsate not long after the rotors are cut like they were being overheated on every stop and they warped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts