Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giong to buy one of these. I needed one ever since I installed my APEXi S-AFC. And that was about 3 years ago...First time I tuned it was in a local Dyno shop near my house. 121WHP-130WHP better eh,...this was with basic bolt ons. Intake/Semiheader (ELantra manifold)/exhaust. Now I have more things done to my car like a new 4-2-1 header, BBTB, a few more things and still waiting for a 1.8 Intake cam to arrive. So I will buy the AEM brand...anyone had any expirience with it? I know it has to be a good buy since AEM products are great. Let me know people!8D

·
Registered
85 Posts
its a good unit, but it doesn't read A/F ratios richer than 11:1

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
I have the FJO Wideband and recommend it over AEM's unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I guess thats the idea...I need to read that the A/F mixture is between 13-14 all time.:puzzled:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do u mean ? No readings after 11? But if u take a close look at both Wideband guages they are basically identical and obviousely in both guages there are no more readings lower than 11????Hmmmm....:puzzled:

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Originally posted by HYPERACER
[body]
What do u mean ? No readings after 11? But if u take a close look at both Wideband guages they are basically identical and obviousely in both guages there are no more readings lower than 11????Hmmmm....:puzzled:
[/body]
My FJO reads up to 20:1.

·
Registered
85 Posts
when I said that I meant it won't read a 10:1 or 9:1 mixture. if it goes richer than 11.0:1 the gauge just blanks. Most people don't really need to run richer than 11.5:1, but there are those that need to read ratios richer than that. Example, on My RX7 at higher boost I need to run ratios of 10.8-10.7:1, sometimes richer. The AEM would not read that. I use the PLX300. Its cheap and works great.

Also be careful, at WOT you should not be running 14:1 A/F ratio. especially on pump gas.

[Edited by Mazdero on Feb 10, 2006 12:28 PM]

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Originally posted by Mazdero
[body]
when I said that I meant it won't read a 10:1 or 9:1 mixture. if it goes richer than 11.0:1 the gauge just blanks. Most people don't really need to run richer than 11.5:1, but there are those that need to read ratios richer than that. Example, on My RX7 at higher boost I need to run ratios of 10.8-10.7:1, sometimes richer. The AEM would not read that. I use the PLX300. Its cheap and works great.

Also be careful, at WOT you should not be running 14:1 A/F ratio. especially on pump gas.

[Edited by Mazdero on Feb 10, 2006 12:28 PM]
[/body]
I'll have to see the range on my FJO...I can't remember how rich it reads. I know under WOT right now I'm around 12.5:1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I see...But whatIknew till now is that the perfect A/F ratio was in the 14's...? Now I'm not really shure. So for a highly modified 4 cyl. Tiburon whats the best A/F ratio?:surprised:

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Originally posted by HYPERACER
[body]
Ok I see...But whatIknew till now is that the perfect A/F ratio was in the 14's...? Now I'm not really shure. So for a highly modified 4 cyl. Tiburon whats the best A/F ratio?:surprised:
[/body]
14.7 is stoich, which is great for omissions, but generally not what you want for performance. I've always been told around 12.5 is the place to be, but it all depends on your a/f curve and dyno results.

·
Registered
85 Posts
correct, 14.7 is stoich, but for power 14.7 is not a good ratio at WOT on unleaded gasoline. The proper A/F ratio varies depending on engine and setup. fo N/A applications on 93 octane, you want to be around 12.5-12.7:1. thats pretty safe for N/A and would produce good power. if your running 98 octane or higher, you can go leaner and make more power. its not uncommon to see close to or better than 14:1 A/F ratios on high compression N/A engines using high octane leaded Race gas, but you better be a good tuner and have timing control.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I see... it's simply a matter of safe running and tuning. I purchased it already on ebay and looking forward to getting it in the next week or so and installing it! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday I was in a grand opening of a local dyno shop near home and a guy there told me that 12.5-13.5 is still a good and safe A/F ratio...? Im a little confused now. What I see is that it all depends on your current mods and how safe of an A/F ratio that your running. But most important of all is of course that your running a safe A/ F ratio.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe in the next few weeks whjen I get the AEM Widband Ill go to the dyno shop to fine tune it. Ill take my digi. vid. cam. to record the event to then have it post it or something!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been like almost 2 weeks since I installed the Wideband gauge. Ive been playing with it and tuning my SAFC with it. When I installed the gauge the first readings were way rich! It was between 10.2-11! But for now I realized that the car feels beter in the 12.2-12.8 ratio...still need to go to the dyno shop to see how much WHP makes in the current ratio. 8D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts