Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about selling my 03 accent and getting a tiburon, What Year would you guys reccomend and what model (GT, etc)? If you've ever owned an accent, what do you think between the two and which do u recommend?

·
Registered
502 Posts
it all matters

if you plan on doin some heavy mods on a car u want a 4 cylinder car. if u want good looks get the tib. if u are looking for a faster moded car keep the accent. if u are not planning on moding much and u want a fast good looking car get an 08 tib gt or se. i stayed with the accent and the more i learn about it the more i love representing hyundai. test drive a tib se ,then remember gas prices, get in your accent and never think of a v6 ever again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you plan on doin some heavy mods on a car u want a 4 cylinder car. if u want good looks get the tib. if u are looking for a faster moded car keep the accent. if u are not planning on moding much and u want a fast good looking car get an 08 tib gt or se. i stayed with the accent and the more i learn about it the more i love representing hyundai. test drive a tib se ,then remember gas prices, get in your accent and never think of a v6 ever again.
Hahaha done, thanks for the advice, sticking to my accent for now.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I own both a 2003 Accent GT and a 2005 Tiburon SE V6.

The cars are very different from one another. The Tiburon really is a much nicer car. It's much more stable at high speeds and it's far quicker than my Accent even when the Tib was stock with the Accent being modded.

As far as potential goes, if you don't intend on exceeding 300hp get the V6. With just a Fujita CAI and SSA Catback on the Tib I have a fairly impressive kill list. The torque the V6 Tib puts out really makes up for the small hp number on paper. From a 55mph roll I took a modded Civic SI (the mini-minivan style one) which I watched run a 14.6 the next weekend at the drag strip. I had him to 110 and he wasn't catching up to me.

I've also beaten:
Audi A4 1.8t with bigger injectors and a retune
Lexus IS250
Honda S2000

I hope to race Jsharptooth's Beta swapped Accent once he gets it up and going for comparison. I'm sure I can talk him into racing me at Portland's drag strip. Maybe I'll bring my Accent along to to compare a bolt on 1.6l Accent with a Beta swapped one. His extra 25whp or so should scoot him right along but I'm not sure if it'll be enough to take the Tib. With my wife driving the Tib just walks away and leaves my Accent looking like I'm not even trying to race. lol.

About the only things that the Accent does better than the Tib IMO is gas mileage and autocross. I get about 32mpg in the Accent typically while we get about 25mpg in the Tib. For autox the Accent turns quicker and more easily than the Tib, but the Tib feels more stable even then. For a road course I wouldn't even consider taking the Accent over the Tib, even if the Accent was modded to be faster. The Tib feels so much flatter and more stable through corners.

The Accent is a nice economy car and it is fun to drive IMO but it'll never fool you into thinking it's a sports car. Driving the Tib you can be fooled into thinking you are driving a sports car even thought you're not. The V6 with exhaust and intake sounds incredibly sexy also.

If I could only pick one to keep as much as it pains me to say it I would keep the Tib.

As far as which model to get, my personal favorite style is the 05-06, but mechanically the 03-08 are basically the same except for that the ECU programming has changed a bit through the years as well as a few other minor details. I'm partial to the SE trim, especially in 07-08's. The 07-08 SE has a lot of goodies well worth the extra price including excellent factory suspension and brakes. You can drive the GT for comparison it has softer suspension and a 5 speed as well as different interior so you can make decisions about that based on preference. The only all leather interior is the GT Limited I think. The SE is leather with cloth inserts.

If you haven't go drive a Tib and see what you think of it yourself.

·
Registered
502 Posts
there are a lot of ifs in the accent to tib question but I truly believe a tib v6 cand touch a beta swaped tuboed accent in speed. I definatly cant fool myself into thinking Im driving a sports car in the accent.
I have driven the tib and I love the life of the car but to be honest I love the weight and size difference of my car.
I hope going turbo will give me a better pull then the v6 tib but when it comes to hyundai cars

I think a beta swaped tuboed accent with an AWD drive train would kill any tib. thats like going up against a lighter more powerfull WRX.

just ask japakos since he has been done with his beta swap turbo project he has been burning evos

(sorry got caried away)
I guess its all opinion exept for the gas milage part.
but definatly test drive an 08 SE tib that track tuned suspention really sticks to the road. when I gunned it i didnt hear the tires one bit but I felt the full force of that delta engine and the thing roars better then any mustang ever could.
(sorry get caried away alot today)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks a lot guys I'm learning alot. The only reason i've decided to stick to the accent right now is cuz of the gas prices. When i have enough money by the end of the year im planning on either getting a Tib or a honda s2000.

·
Registered
502 Posts
meh honda.. screw that the Hyundai genesis will come out soon.
the honda s2000 is a look nice, not play nice car.
the Genesis has HUGE expectations.
stay in the Hyundai family that way you know you will be safe :)

If you dont know about the genesis look it up
its a RWD car going to come with 2 versions, honda smashing turbocharged 4 cylinder and a mustang GT smashing 6 cylinder. (love saying mustang smashing).
it will come with fetures such as: too much touque, and law excaping speed.

the genesis give a chance for koreans to try drifting too :D

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
it will come with fetures such as: too much touque, and law excaping speed.
LOL...where do you come up with this stuff...lol. I see you in a car salesman outfit. talk very serious to a customer. LOL

Anyway...ok..so far nobody with a turboed/tuned turboed Accent has said anything. My car is pushing 5-6 psi getting 143 whp and yes...I've raced my buddies 04 Tib. He had a Fujita intake, cat-back (not sure the brand) and fodenza )not sure the spelling) light weight flywheel. He took me off the line, but while still in first I caught up to him, kept a steady pace with him till about 5k rpm in 2nd when I started to pull a bit then 3rd on I just kept gainning. By time I shifted to 5th he was about 3-4 cars behind me and I still just kept going. We stoped once we reached 90 though. He had the SE model too.

even still you can say everything from oh he didnt know how to drive this that and the other...here the thing. I dont either. I NEVER launch my car..I quickly ease into 1st then mash the pedal till 6k...not rev-limiter just to when my power starts to dip. after that its not rocket science...just mash and go, shift when you reach redline...thats all Ive really done and I've taken out A4 1.8, those little mini coopers the S, even yeah that mini minivan SI Honda...they only got 145 to the wheels and like 123 trq...the mni cooper S also has 143 whp but I have 136 trq and they only got 122. SO the little Accent makes good torq to HP ratio wich is whats needed. Plus the Mustang GTs are slow...hate to say it I love Mustangs but the gear ratio on thoe things really kills them they will die on a 8th mile track but compleatly dominate the 1/4. I saw it last time I went to Fontana Race way up in San Bernadino.

the suspension on my car is really ridged due to the coilovers and I havnt been able to test it but i agree that it does not feel very sporty...it feels very cheep...its not smooth and its very jerky and you hear everything on the road...but its pretty fast...and once I get it tuned for 10 psi im gonna make most "sport cars" eat their own **** for breakfast!!! AHHH HA HA HA HA...lol...:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL...where do you come up with this stuff...lol. I see you in a car salesman outfit. talk very serious to a customer. LOL

Anyway...ok..so far nobody with a turboed/tuned turboed Accent has said anything. My car is pushing 5-6 psi getting 143 whp and yes...I've raced my buddies 04 Tib. He had a Fujita intake, cat-back (not sure the brand) and fodenza )not sure the spelling) light weight flywheel. He took me off the line, but while still in first I caught up to him, kept a steady pace with him till about 5k rpm in 2nd when I started to pull a bit then 3rd on I just kept gainning. By time I shifted to 5th he was about 3-4 cars behind me and I still just kept going. We stoped once we reached 90 though. He had the SE model too.

even still you can say everything from oh he didnt know how to drive this that and the other...here the thing. I dont either. I NEVER launch my car..I quickly ease into 1st then mash the pedal till 6k...not rev-limiter just to when my power starts to dip. after that its not rocket science...just mash and go, shift when you reach redline...thats all Ive really done and I've taken out A4 1.8, those little mini coopers the S, even yeah that mini minivan SI Honda...they only got 145 to the wheels and like 123 trq...the mni cooper S also has 143 whp but I have 136 trq and they only got 122. SO the little Accent makes good torq to HP ratio wich is whats needed. Plus the Mustang GTs are slow...hate to say it I love Mustangs but the gear ratio on thoe things really kills them they will die on a 8th mile track but compleatly dominate the 1/4. I saw it last time I went to Fontana Race way up in San Bernadino.

the suspension on my car is really ridged due to the coilovers and I havnt been able to test it but i agree that it does not feel very sporty...it feels very cheep...its not smooth and its very jerky and you hear everything on the road...but its pretty fast...and once I get it tuned for 10 psi im gonna make most "sport cars" eat their own **** for breakfast!!! AHHH HA HA HA HA...lol...:D
HAHAHAHAHAHHA thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I can be serios when I actualy study the material so far I havent cared too much tho,but I guess it just comes up like a rediculous idea.

mustangs are slow espectialy the new ones because they are 4000 pound cars, with all that weight they just seem to want to make big show burn outs.

I test drove a mustang gt and YES the dealer was screaming at me and YES he was a scared bitch when i drifted a courner to get on the freeway, but the car itself was just too american V8ish, (its not a V8 its V8ish you only feel 7 cyclinders the 8th is a lazy bum) and the 4000 pounds of junk in the trunk didnt help. after that the dealer took off to get his boss to sell me the car, I wonder why.

well when the genesis comes out that will be my next test drive car.
(and if your wondering YES i do go test drive cars for fun, sometimes)

I still need to test drive a 6 series like the radio comertial said for me to do. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
mustangs are slow espectialy the new ones ... they just seem to want to make big show burn outs ... the car itself was just too american V8ish, (its not a V8 its V8ish you only feel 7 cyclinders the 8th is a lazy bum)
Tough talk from a guy that drives a Hyundai Accent.

mustangs are slow espectialy the new ones because they are 4000 pound cars
Incorrect. Mustang GT's are 3356 lbs (source)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Maybe you should start studting your material now MetalShark before spouting off suck a load of incorrect and misguided bullshit.

A 2008 Mustang GT weighs 3450 pounds, not 4000. Huge difference. The Genesis Coupe V6 is reported to weigh 3549 pounds which is actually more than the Mustang.

V8ish? WTF are you talking about? That doesn't even make sense. Unless you're comparing it to AMG or //M V8's which cost as much as an entire new Mustang to replace. That's hardly a fair comparison. If you want to make that comparison I'll compare the typical Euro V8 to the GM LSX block which is rated for 2500 horsepower. It's an equally rediculous comparison. If you want to play fair comparing high end V8's as an American example at least use the 505hp LS7 from the Corvette Z-06 to compare with whatever else you're thinking of, not the Mustang. The Mustang is not meant to be a world beater. It's meant to be an economy muscle car, which it does just fine. Not only that but the engine is a good one just not highly tuned. It can be built up to make great power to compare to more expensive cars and you'll still have a lot of money left over.

As for "Mustang GT smashing" with the V6 powered Genesis Coupe that's unlikely with the Genesis Coupe only managing to get 266lb/ft of torque vs. the Mustang's 320 since the Gen Coupe is heavier. The only way to do it would be with rediculously low gearing which would ruin the driveability and fuel economy of the Gen Coupe.

The salesman was screaming at you for being an idiot. I would scream at you too. Find a race track for that ****, especially in a car you don't know.

Also, the S2000 is a phenomenal car. It's not a great straight line car but straight lines are for drivers who don't like driving or who can't manage corners. Apparently you don't much care for a balanced stable car.

I think a beta swaped tuboed accent with an AWD drive train would kill any tib.
Wow. And it'll cost you more than an EVO would and you wouldn't be at the top of your tuning potential if you bought the EVO. Great investment. However an AWD Tib with a turbo Lambda swap would at least be equal to the Accent and maybe quicker due to the better weight distribution, stiffer chassis, and longer wheelbase. As you add power the weight difference makes less and less difference and chassis dynamics makes more and more difference. Both cars would be giant wastes of money though.

Back on track, yeah a turbo Accent will beat a N/A Tiburon for sure. It'll lose to a F/I Tiburon though. A Beta swapped Accent will probably be slightly quicker than a Tiburon, but they'll be close.

Power:
*My Tiburon V6 stock: 161whp
Tiburon V6 all bolt ons: 200whp
*Average of stock manual Betas our dyno days: 120whp
Beta turbo: 250whp
*My bolt on 1.6l Accent: 99whp
Fintile's turbo Accent: 143whp
*Stock 1.5l Accent: 76whp
*Tiburon V6 S/C: 293whp

*means I was there for the dyno run

Weights:
GK Tiburon V6: 2969lbs
GK Tiburon I4: 2898lbs
LC2 Accent: 2280lbs

Power to weight ratio from worst to best:
Accent 1.5l: 30lbs/hp
Accent bolt on: 23lbs/hp
Accent beta swap: 19lbs/hp
Tiburon V6 stock: 18.5lbs/hp
Accent 1.6l turbo: 15.9lbs/hp
Tiburon V6 w/ bolt ons: 14.8lbs/hp
Tiburon Beta turbo: 11.6lbs/hp
Tiburon V6 S/C: 10.1lbs/hp
Accent Beta turbo: 9.1lbs/hp

If you don't take into account how well the chassis will respond to this increase in power this'll make a decent comparison for "would X beat Y" type of discussions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe you should start studting your material now MetalShark before spouting off suck a load of incorrect and misguided bullshit.

A 2008 Mustang GT weighs 3450 pounds, not 4000. Huge difference. The Genesis Coupe V6 is reported to weigh 3549 pounds which is actually more than the Mustang.

V8ish? WTF are you talking about? That doesn't even make sense. Unless you're comparing it to AMG or //M V8's which cost as much as an entire new Mustang to replace. That's hardly a fair comparison. If you want to make that comparison I'll compare the typical Euro V8 to the GM LSX block which is rated for 2500 horsepower. It's an equally rediculous comparison. If you want to play fair comparing high end V8's as an American example at least use the 505hp LS7 from the Corvette Z-06 to compare with whatever else you're thinking of, not the Mustang. The Mustang is not meant to be a world beater. It's meant to be an economy muscle car, which it does just fine. Not only that but the engine is a good one just not highly tuned. It can be built up to make great power to compare to more expensive cars and you'll still have a lot of money left over.

As for "Mustang GT smashing" with the V6 powered Genesis Coupe that's unlikely with the Genesis Coupe only managing to get 266lb/ft of torque vs. the Mustang's 320 since the Gen Coupe is heavier. The only way to do it would be with rediculously low gearing which would ruin the driveability and fuel economy of the Gen Coupe.

The salesman was screaming at you for being an idiot. I would scream at you too. Find a race track for that ****, especially in a car you don't know.

Also, the S2000 is a phenomenal car. It's not a great straight line car but straight lines are for drivers who don't like driving or who can't manage corners. Apparently you don't much care for a balanced stable car.

Wow. And it'll cost you more than an EVO would and you wouldn't be at the top of your tuning potential if you bought the EVO. Great investment. However an AWD Tib with a turbo Lambda swap would at least be equal to the Accent and maybe quicker due to the better weight distribution, stiffer chassis, and longer wheelbase. As you add power the weight difference makes less and less difference and chassis dynamics makes more and more difference. Both cars would be giant wastes of money though.

Back on track, yeah a turbo Accent will beat a N/A Tiburon for sure. It'll lose to a F/I Tiburon though. A Beta swapped Accent will probably be slightly quicker than a Tiburon, but they'll be close.

Power:
*My Tiburon V6 stock: 161whp
Tiburon V6 all bolt ons: 200whp
*Average of stock manual Betas our dyno days: 120whp
Beta turbo: 250whp
*My bolt on 1.6l Accent: 99whp
Fintile's turbo Accent: 143whp
*Stock 1.5l Accent: 76whp
*Tiburon V6 S/C: 293whp

*means I was there for the dyno run

Weights:
GK Tiburon V6: 2969lbs
GK Tiburon I4: 2898lbs
LC2 Accent: 2280lbs

Power to weight ratio from worst to best:
Accent 1.5l: 30lbs/hp
Accent bolt on: 23lbs/hp
Accent beta swap: 19lbs/hp
Tiburon V6 stock: 18.5lbs/hp
Accent 1.6l turbo: 15.9lbs/hp
Tiburon V6 w/ bolt ons: 14.8lbs/hp
Tiburon Beta turbo: 11.6lbs/hp
Tiburon V6 S/C: 10.1lbs/hp
Accent Beta turbo: 9.1lbs/hp

If you don't take into account how well the chassis will respond to this increase in power this'll make a decent comparison for "would X beat Y" type of discussions.

hahahahaha now THAT makes sense, no, it really does..;) thanks

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
See Ive frown up with Mustangs. Everyone in my family has had one and still does in some way. I know from experiance that for what ppl want the Mustang GT to be...it isnt. So they bash it. S2000 is ok...it looks cool but it should have had the K20 motor. Granted my car is only at 5 psi..sure a beta turbo at 5 psi would prolly throw down 190-200 whp but thats not the point. The point was wether or not he should KEEP the Accent. If he had to pick one car...just throw it all on one car right now...HELL YEAH GO S/C Tibby V6...maybe even the turboed beta Tib...not sure. Those of us who have Accents did not buy them to race or even do ANYTHING TO, we got them ecause we needed to get around on cheep gas. Now given thats done. Most us LC2 (Accent owners in general) are just making due with what we got..now 187..do this ratio...a 1.6 Alpha turbo with 200 whp...whats the power to weight ratio there? Granted you can make more power with the tib and the chassis is better but if you didnt have the option in the first place it shouldnt matter. I know once I'm done tunning this thing its going to kick rear. Most cars with 200 hp already do. besides its a comparison not a fact. Opinion i throw in there too. I wish I got the Tib to start but I'm stuck, and rather than giving up on the poor little Alpha motor like most on here I've decided to see how much it can take...within reason of course...right now my wastegate only allows for up to 10 psi max...o I tune it for 10 psi and see what I get. Hell 5 psi gave me a 50 hp increase as is..so by 10 i should have 180-190...pretty decent comming from a little econo-box.

Accent03John, dude...just do what you want. Now you have all the wikipedia facts about the accent and the Tib..also check out what TOP GEAR says about the Tib. Its very positive. See what you wanna do, how much you wanna spend and go from there. Obviously the cheepest route would be to Turbo what you got. You may spend the same amount trying to cover the differance buying a new Tib and then getting a 4K S/C for the GT or turboing the 2.0. In the end either way you will have a car that turns heads and people will be giving you props for sure...(if not they are a$$hole, crap eaters). I'll be the first, props to you for even TRYING to modify a Hyundai. Its what we are all on here for right?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
An Accent with 200whp would be 11.4lbs/hp.

The Mustang is the Mustang. The Mustang defines the category. If you don't like the Mustang you don't like the category. The F-body was almost always a better performer but the Mustang has always sold better.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

The Mustang is the Mustang. The Mustang defines the category. If you don't like the Mustang you don't like the category. The F-body was almost always a better performer but the Mustang has always sold better.
very true...either way fast or slow I love Mustangs and defend them TO HE DEATH!!!...lol 11.4 what about 230?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I appreciate the advice guys, at one point i was going back and forth on decisions, even though i don't know too much about the s2000, i know the prices are looking good lately, if I was looking around on craigslist, and the 05-06 Tib that everyone recommends is running averages about $14,000, s2k's depending on the year are as low as $11,000. I've done a little research on s2k's on wiki and found out that they really haven't changed too much over the year, correct me if i'm wrong though. And since i'm looking for something that runs okay on gas, a 4 cyl. engine sounds good. Anyway I know for a fact i'm gonna be holding my accent for another year, so I'm gonna do minor tuning to it, nothing extreme, all i've done is an intake/K&N filter upgrade and that's probably the most i'll spend. Short shifter, free slave cyl. mod, a fender paintjob, windshield replacement, and new tires are what i'm shooting for as of now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ok I see somebody is getting touchy about the mustang issue so I'm going to be serios now.

I am and will always be joking when I bash on things or people. (hence the rediculous weight numbers)
personaly when I test drove the mustang the guy probably did think I was an idiot because bubank police station was right around the corner.
I liked the feel to it be it feels like a heavy ass car to me I am use to my light ass accent. I like the way both tib and mustang are very road stable cars but the mustang felt too heavy for my liking the tib is ABOUT 1000 pound lighter tho the mustang felt faster, because it was.

now another thing is a beta swap accent barly cost half as much as an EVO

General LC Accent goes for 1k-3k
Used Beta close to new goes for $300 - $800
and I have seen many GOOD turbo kits put together for less than 2k
custom exhaust $200 - $400
at MAX the beta swap Accent will have cost 6-7k if you did all the work or got it done for free.
and beta swaping and turboing does not mean max tune there is ALWAYS something somebody can do to a car.

General EVO's go from 33k-15k (thats all from 06 - 08 models) good luck finding one for cheaper
the MINIMUM you might pay for your STOCK EVO can be 14k if your lucky.

i dont know much of anything when it comes to the s2000 exept for that its a sweet looking car and one of my friends said they have too many rev limiters on it.
not all come with a K tho some a F engines too.

I guess I am building a haters club on me now so I leave the forum for a while.
have fun trying to proove me wrong with this one.
I have been researching beta swaps for a while now (close to 1 year) and happen to know it is far cheaper then any running sports car from year 2000 and up.

ohh by the way the Genesis is being advertised as the mustang beater quote Hyundai and setle it with them.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Awesome posts!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts