Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all accent Alpha engine owners. I found out something that will change the accent N/A tuning to the max. Try to use spark plugs from the honda S2000. In addition with headers, ecu tuning etc, the car will fly. Try it and tell me. I couldn't believe the performance it had on my best friends LC.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
That doesnt help me with my turbo :lol: I am interested in seeing how people say these plugs respond in their n/a alphas though....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunatelly they won't fit for a turbo alpha. But I want to hear opinions.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
It does sound kinda out there. Im not so sure what could be different about their plug (gap and heat range come to mind, neither would help a whole lot). Maybe a slightly more "aggresive plug", but for a real noticable difference?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remember when 'Max Power(UK)" did a big comparo on spark plugs from standard NGK through to mega dollar platinum/iridium etc and all of the 4 electrode type plugs etc(about 12 brands/styles in total)
The funny thing is,the NGK were the best plug and made the most power BUT... ALL of the plugs were within 1hp(200hp+ turbo nova if I remember) of each others at all revs. The lowest were actually the platinum etc because they are poorer conductors than copper and lost a fraction of the spark energy.
The reality is,that LC in question prolly had poorly gapped and/or old plugs which were over due for replacement!

·
Registered
621 Posts
i would have to agree.
surely using plugs desinged for another car, even if the gap is the same isn't good for it.
the HS2000 may have a better plug, but surely if you just get off the shelf Iridiums of Splitfires with the dual heads it would work just as good?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, splitfires, or misfires as my group of friends call them have been proven to lose power, it's a gimmick.

I have found in both my VW which has been on a dyno (and is no more) and seat of the pants accent that the best plug as long as changed regularly has been the Bosch supers at 99 cents a plug. ON the dyno, they made over 4hp over bosch platunums (VW) . THis was a fuel heavy car and they platinums would foul out faster (ran really rich at idle, fine at higher Rpm due to the cis-e injection system.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK ok.. I just said it went fine for my friends LC. I also got the same opinion from a mechanic. Dont eat me :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Electrically, double, triple, or quadruple electrode spark plugs make no sense.

Electrical arcs will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance. If one ground wire is a 10,000th of an inch closer to the center electrode than the other, the spark will ALWAYS take that shorter path until it builds up more resistance... then the spark will find the next path of least resistance. Thats how electricity works. This is the same reason that Splitfire plugs are a complete joke. In real world operation, especially after setting the gap, you will only have one spark. If you could somehow get the gaps set so that they are absolutely identical.. you MIGHT get two sparks for a very very short time, but from what I know about the voodoo behind electrical behavior, I really seriously doubt it.

The *ONLY* advantages to having more than one ground wire on a spark plug is that once one groudn wire starts to wear down, the spark will then jump from the next closest one. Also, for instance with the Bosch +4 plugs, the spark is not shielded as it is in a standard single wire plug. From what I understand, this will provide a more direct flame propagation in the cylinder.

The best thing you can do for your ignition system is run a higher voltage high-output coil and widen the plug gaps a little, or go with something like an MSD box. That is the only way you are going to honestly get "more" spark.

·
Registered
621 Posts
japakos, i'm not having a go at you.
if it works for your friend it works, it could work for others too.
it is something to keep in mind and maybe research a bit more next time servcing is due...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh it's ok. The topic was from personal test and mechanic words. I saw a huge difference. More aggressive etc.. Maybe it won't work in a stock accent or maybe it will. What to lose? 10bucks to try and then throw away. Whoever wants to try it, go for it and tell me opinions. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yea changing plugs to s2000 plugs will do little to nothing. For one, modifying your spark in a stock or near stock situation will not help much and may actually hurt the performance. There is no way any spark plug will give you "loads" of power in a stock engine. Plugs need the correct heat range, reach and gap to go along with its coil output, period. As stated above Boch platinum +4 are overmarketed. One thing they will do is make the plug last longer, but thats about it.

Putting high output coils and increasing the gap will make a hotter spark, but unless you NEED a hotter spark, then all you get is detonation situations.

I personally have splitfires in the beta because they were on sale for $1.99 each at Kragen auto parts the day I bought them, and the split electrode will make the plug last longer (50k and plugs still work awesome). They gave me 0hp gain, and 0 fuel milage gain. Just a longer lasting plug is all.

What is the reasoning behind the s2000 plug making power? Headers will do almost nothing to alter the 4 strokes of the stock motor alone. ECU tuning...again with simple bolt ons ecu tuning is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
yeah, no matter how popular a spark plug is, it won't give any gains...

I have iridium plug's in mine and i dont' feel any faster,

the only thing that can conclude this thread is that someone actually do the thing to a stock accent and see if it's true..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts