Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys still doing my planning i was wondering how much really the stock alpha engine with a turbo, good exhaust and stock internals (well basic stock maybe scoupe pistons) has been known to handle horsepower wise. Stock is like 89 isnt it?

Just wondering anyone that's doen it's top safe HP eadings are would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
At 6psi, last year I put 136.9hp to the wheels, this years dyno run sucked so I won't got through that again... I was running super rich, and only managed 139whp. I know I can get more, just need better tuning capabilties. Actually more time to mess with it... Tell ya what. That much whp with get you into the 14's in the quarter mile as lone as your car isnt weighted down with huge stero equipment and other showy crap...

Good luck!
Ron

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So at only 6 psi you ran with almost 140, i heard that even 2psi can make a huge difference so what would you guess your running with the 14psi i mean from 6 - 14 is more than double the air pressure. What was your top speed at the 6psi?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So at only 6 psi you ran with almost 140, i heard that even 2psi can make a huge difference so what would you guess your running with the 14psi i mean from 6 - 14 is more than double the air pressure. What was your top speed at the 6psi?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have never officially ran the car in a quarter mile, and rarely do a top speed thing. I treat my boost kinda like nitrous, use it in short bursts. I have never taken the car over 110mph. But it was still pulling strong at 110.
As for the difference in boost from 6psi to 15psi? HUGE! At 15psi it is a a major biatch to hold the car straight, their is a lot of torque steer. I turned my boost back down to 10psi yesterday, and put in my smaller 24lb injectors.

I like 15psi much better...

Rob

[Edited by rab71 on Sep 26, 2004 7:52 PM]

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
lol dude... YOU may have not taken your car over 110 on boost... but i sure did :lol:

i took mine over 110 in 4th gear!! lol.

The furthest i went up to was about 135. This was on the 13" stock wheels/tires... very shaky/scary... had to slow down.... :|

the difference is so immense that it is like riding in a sport car. At 8 psi after a rolling start i was neck and neck with a 04 turbo wrx with mods (boost controller running 16psi, larger dp and up) every time we raced. We just put a sti engine in his ride so we will still be a nice match with my turbo beta :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
heheh I took mine to 115 on stock 13"s too, with my buddy who was on a 1996? katana sports bike... not safe, I know, even though it was an empty highway. but the car still had tons of pull to it. I was only using 30% throttle to maintain that cruising speed. tons of power. I wanna thank Rab for leading the way.

Rab your dyno problems and fuel issues are all related to the dyno you're using. You need a dyno that adds some sort of load to your wheels. that way you can build boost properly and your fuel will match the boost. Ever watch your boost gauge when you spin your wheels? You'll tap full boost, then it'll back off about halfway until your wheels catch or you shift gears. or the old example of going up a hill, you can build full boost going up a hill because it's harder to fight gravity, thus putting a load on your engine. Whereas if you're going down the hill gravity is helping pull you down the hill and reducing the load on your engine.

and now back to your regularly scheduled post... (sorry for the hijack and good luck!)

[Edited by X3Jason on Sep 28, 2004 9:22 AM]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So its safe to say that the stock internals on the accent can handle some serious pressure i mean can we safely agree that 10-12lb of pressure is within safe limits? I mean to the point my engine wont die and my pistons wont shoot through the head of the darn engine etc LOL i cant afford that. And i cant see dropping 4 grand for forged pistons and rods. I recall someone saying that the scoupe pistons should be swapped into the alpha engine. Why is that are they stronger, higher compression, what?

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's safe to say that 10-12psi is good as long as your engine is in a healthy mechanical shape. ;):

The scoupe pistons are lower compression. Stock is 10:1 while the Scoupe is 7.5:1. This allows you to safely run a little more boost because of lesser compression you can fit more into the cylinders. I've been told the Stock pistons cause the engine to be more responsive though, for everyday street use but it depends what you can live with. Also the scoupe pistons have 'oil squirters' on the bottom of them but I'll let someone else explain that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil squirters?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I run 18psi with my alpha with scoupe turbo pistons!

I can do 138mph in 5th gear! but i reach the fu"/$ing cut off at 6300rpm lol! :nervous:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So confused. 18psi is a shitload, and i mean they mentioned doing 110 with only 10psi, i mean .... why the cap? is it due to the gearbox? Perhaps a more aggressive one would have performed even better top speeds?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
110 isnt a cap, I dont feel safe at those speeds. Last thing I need to be is a spot in the road. Not fair to my kids... Also remember Wicked said he is using the Scoupe pistons. by the way Wicked it's anout time you shared your experience with the less experienced on here;): You've been helping me out all along! I must be special:hmmm: anyway... As for the dyno it does exactly what you said Jason. How is a guy supposed to tune that way? I just need to win the lottery and buy a wideband...:ermm:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Phantam.......it`s the ECU`s rev-limiter which cuts in at around 6,300 to protect the engine from damage .
The valves would start to `float`at much more than that (largely due to the HLA`s) with disasterous results!.
Nick.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand the revlimiter is capping the revs however, wouldnt a higher gear ration int he gear box (a more aggressive set of gears) increase the speed at all gears, i mean if the car has more HP and torque the engine should be able to handle spining the more aggressive gearing. I understand that at 110 alot of work has to be done to stabalize the car and that its highly dangerous but its not doing it that's a good idea its the fact of being able to go to a circuit track andhave a go at it and say that your car can do it. i mean can you imaginehitting 110 in the middle of 4th gear ?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Putting in the beta tranny would solve that problem... Actually with the turbo longer gears would be better, that way the turbo doesn't blow off the boost evertime you shift. That is, if you let off the gas when you shift. Man I wouldnt want any more agressive gears than it already has. I can barely get out of first gear without smoking the tires as it is! two things... LSD, and beta tranny... No, I dont want to do a a beta1 engine swap. I like the 1.5...:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've got the 2000 accent with the 1.5L sohc with air conditioning. If I go turbo can I keep the a/c? Also where to mount the intercooler?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HEHE lsd i figured that :D

as for the intercooler it mounts below the radiator in the opening in the bumper on most of the accents. and as far as im aware as long as you dont do a 2.0 swap you can keep your wonderful airco i know i am :D

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It depends on the intercooler... For the longest time, mine was a top mount in the engine bay. I had to relocate the batterhy to the trunk, but it worked very well!

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts