Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm getting a whole system soon (speakers, headset, amp, sub, direct ipod connector) and am pretty sure im getting all alpine. do they make good subs? i listen to alternative rap (mos def, atmosphere, and the like), and well as some rock (like bob dylan and such)

so yeah does alpine make good subs?

ty! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
i have never used them so i dont have a very good idea but its really how much you want to spend as there are different models/types of alpine subs. type S, R and X to name a few. Just check them all out and see wat you like.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My brother had a pair of the type s 10's and he sold them to one of his friends who sold them to another one and so on, I got to hear them in like 6 different cars they sounded pretty nice. I would get a pair of the type R 10's if you have to stay alpine or maybe look into a pair of 10" bostons or Mb quartz.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, Sticking to one brand is nice looking and all, but the problem is that no one company makes the best gear.

For a perfect example. Alpine makes a fine head unit. There is better for same or less, but theirs is okay. Alpine makes crappy interior speakers for the price. For the same price you can get better from eclipse, mb quart, kicker, focal, morel, morelusa, etc etc.

alpine amps are fine, for the same price you can get double the wattage and just as clean sound from manufacturers like planet audio, kicker, rockford (i hate rockford, but they get the job done) phoenix gold, lightning audio staggered amplifiers, etc

subs, the X's are fine, the R's are fair, the S's suck a$$ like no tomorrow. If you are not going to spend the money on the X's, then I would go with other brands, etc.

Most people like their amps to be the same brand because it matches, that's something that I agree with, but for all the gear in the car?? no, I would disagree.

good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where i work we sell alpine, and i will tell you they are a very good brand. If you have the money you could do their F1 system its expensive but worth it. Their headunits are nice. Type S is their low end speakers, the type r's are nice, if you were to do all alpine do type r components up front and type r coaxials in the rear. A nice head unit to get would be the 9847 or higher model. If your looking for a lot of bass do two type r 12's in a ported box with either mrd-m605 or the mrd-m1005. If you put all of that in ur car you would have a nice sounding system.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i will have to say that alpine type x' kik a$$, bit expensive but very good, the typ Rs are good too, but if u get ne thin below the R's the subs arnt worth your time

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would go with the pheonix gold Titaninums before I went with the R's, better all around sub for less money.

I would also go with an eclipse head unit, eclipse point source front stage, Memphis audio for amplifiers, JL W7's for subs at this point. This is what I mean by different brands. One can argue all day long, and alpine has lost it's elite status. And for the price of the F1, he has a hyundai, it's one thing for the stereo to cost as much as the car is worth, but 3 times is maybe going overboard for a daily driven car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Alpine did a car up that had a 1,000 dollar system in it. Took it to car show and won finals. It was an all type s system. So really Alpine is not that bad. Thats all i'm saying.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am the first person to to say not to do your whole system with one brand but my car which I think sounds pretty nice. I took second in sq to an all alpine couger now granted he did custom installs with the speakers in the vents and all but it did sound pretty nice he beat me by a point and a half, but I was 8 points above 3rd place. I did have a blown speaker in the front door, but maybe I am just finding excuses. They are a good brand if you had to do all one brand I would say Alpine, Eclispe, Boston, or soundstream, I am not sure if boston has decks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i ended up getting jlaudio amp, a 12" w3, and an alpine headunit/speakers

i love it all! sounds grand
one thing though, i have "Subwoofer" turned up to 15 and i know with my 300watt amp that has two channels going to the sub and two going to the front speakers, i should be able to pump more bass. the prob is, when i turn up the bass, the front speakers start popping because they're trying to hit too low of a notes.. anything i can do?

thanks for all yer replies!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
IF that's your problem frequency filters will help if you put them on your front speakers. Sounds like it's more likely either crappy front speakers or just plain old distortion though. If it's distortion you are risking damaging your shiny new subwoofer also. Half of your 300 watt amp's output won't hit very hard by the way no matter what you're running. JL Audio is some quality equipment though. I can't help you any better without hearing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an Alpine Type-S sub in a previous car and they're pretty good. Im running with Rockford Fosgate P2's now and they kick ass:cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
All the high end subs are great, just depends no the sound you're looking to achieve. Each brand has it's own niche in the audiophile world, and they do it very nicely.

Personally, I have 2 12" Kicker L7's and powered by some Phoneix amps. It's a little much in my Mustang though. My friend has 2 12" Alpine Type R subwoofers, and they hit hard and have clean and crisp bass. I think he got the better deal out of it beacuse I overdid it w/my system. Just get a custom box made, not the premade boxes because the subs need to be set to spec.

Unless you're a bass head, you wont need a big subwoofer system if you get a nice component and 6x9 setup. I love my JL Audio components and 6x9's. Infinity's make an awesome set up also, but you can be a brand whore and be sufficient wtih the Alpine Type R components and 6x9's. Just get a nice 4 channel amp for your speakers, and a couple mono channel amps for your subs and you'll be fine.

Howie~

P.S. Please dont forget to insulate your cab and secure all rattly things when you do a nice stereo upgrade. It'll make all of us look bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts