Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my car needs a jump start every 2 months, does that mean i need a new battery? I was going to buy a new battery after the second time this happened, but when i checked the volts , it tested out at over 14. Now im sitting here, waiting for hyundai roadside to come and jump the car. What do you think i should do, because this happened yesterday at a shop and the guy told me, i probably need to replace my battery real soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
of course it is going to show 14V when the engine is running cause that is what the alternator is producing. you need to check how many volts your battery had when the car is off. you should have 12V

·
Registered
281 Posts
yeah, i would say its time to replace the battery. once your car needs a jump more then once every couple months, you are having charging system promblems (alternator, battery, or both). always replace the battery when you replace an alternator.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...im going to change the battery...this is the second time calling roadside today...i knew i shouldnt had my car off..but the funny thing is that i could use the radio and electronics, but when i try to turn over, everything dies.

[Edited by Ravinaziankid on Dec 7, 2005 10:03 AM]

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I know you're smart enough to check this first ;), but are your battery terminals tight? Leaving them a little bit loose can cause the battery to not fully recharge and overtime die. I've had it happen to me twice, and its now the first thing I check after a car dies once or twice by no fault of my own.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If its the factory battery, it has a warranty of 3 year 36000 miles. Might save you a few bux for the Holidays to have Hyundai replace it. You should be able to get them to replace it so long as you dont have an huge aftermarket system.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats good to know...since i only have around 27000 miles and no aftermarket system. I went to pepboys and they tested my battery in the back and said it was good, just needed to recharge. Does this mean my alternator is bad or something is not allowing the battery to recharge in time.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know the problem thats going on here? If they say my battery is good, what can be the problem? I dont want to always have to worry about if the car would start up again after i turn it off and on for a minute. Ive noticed that if i drive for a little bit, then turn off the car and turn it back on like 2 mins later, it would sound like it doesnt want to start and it would start up slowly. I need help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Autozone and Advanded will test the alternator for free, I would start there, or take it to hyundai cause everything except wire and plugs should be under warrenty still and even those should give problems that early.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Its your alternator. I had the same problem in my old toyota pickup. Short trips the car wouldnt start back up, but long trips it would start up fine. Get it checked, i bet itll be bad and just have it replaced.

·
Registered
281 Posts
or your terminals were loose and dirty. and remeber to start the car with the lights off, and dont sit there and listen to the radio for hours with the car off. i actually had a fun time with my accent the other day. my car would be driving fine and wonderful, and then the lights would get bright as all **** and the radio caught on fire. so, i take the alternator off and have it tested. teh moron says "oh its fine" put it back on. same thing happens, lights get hella bright (radio is gone now because it smoked and such and is broken) so i take the alternator back off and say "test it again, this time test the voltage regulator" and the guy goes "oh yeah, well, the thing isnt stopping output when its supposed to." so.. yeah, the regulator was giving full output all the time, which means i was seeing 16+ volts intermitantly. its a good thing hyundai ECU's have an extra voltage regulator in them, or i would ve very angry

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow that sounds pretty bad...that guy almost got you F-ed 2 times. I might just get a better battery, i heard optima batteries are much better and wouldnt die so quick.

·
Registered
176 Posts
im havint he same probs but schucks auto supply tested and it was ok..
is it my alt?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh so i guess i should just replace the battery then because thats the same problem im getting.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I bought a optima red top and am very happy with it. I've even pumped the system (which draws alot of power) for quite some time with the car off and had no problems. The cold cranking amps and cranking amps are rated really high X)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are all the red top optima batteries the same? Do I go to any store that carries them and just put them on? Because Im probably going to go buy it if so.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
They are not all the same, some have higher ratings than others. The yellow tops have even higher ratings than any of the red I believe! Just look at the sticker with the specs on it. The batterys with higher CCA and CA ratings will cost a bit more. Even the lower rating ones compared to most batterys are awesome. However for an extra $10 or whatever it cost, why not get the bigger one...

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But can i put a higher rated red top on my car? My question is, can any redtop go onto my car without any problems?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts