Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a clutch kit and flywheel combo from a company on Ebay called XTD...they have a 99.9% feedback on all the same product and 19,000 people that left all good feed back...759 pages of good reviews...should i buy this??? its a stage 3.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
The pressure plate is stock and painted red. The disc is an upgrade however. Id say not a bad idea unless your going uberboost. The only thing I noticed bad was after we pulled on of their discs the center section was really loose after not many miles. :confused: btw that was not the reason we pulled the clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i did go through a whole bunch of forums to research it like probetalk.com and an eclipse and supra forum and a honda civic forum, they all had really good reviews except one guy that blew his clutch to bits and was bitching about it, but he was boosted and only using a stage one or maybe 2 tops...plus he was a civic owner.....we ALL know how dumb those guys get. other than that tho i hear about 5 people saying it grips much better then centerforce, and i heard one thing about the chatter...but that might be because there is a strict 500 mile break in period.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i have a centerforce now. its three times the price but its smoother, tighter, stronger, and no chatter. but it was 700 bucks just for the clutch alone. the combo is ok but you get what you pay for. as long as you don't drive too hard it'll be ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i need to get some more opinions on this cuz there was a guy with a twin turbo vr4 3000gt he loves it... so its got to be good plus the warrenty is 12 months and 12000 mile and out of almost 20,000 people not 1 person literally left any negative feedback. its a company located in japan with one shop in california so Thats why its kind of unheard of here.

·
Registered
959 Posts
well, if people were able to leave feedback one year later when it finally craps out, then there wouldn't be 20000 great reviews. im a member of the vt car club and all six people hate it. two tibs, a probe, 240sx, and a prelude not sure of the other car. it works well. im not saying it will break. what im saying is it isn't smooth and it chatters like hell.

·
Registered
256 Posts
plus you need to think about how long or how much money it is going to cost you to save a couple of bucks tear the tranny out of the car install your cheeper flywheel clutch combo install it break it in find out that it is starting to give you problems then turn arround and have to buy another one. i personally cant beleive how well my spec clutch is holding up mainly becuause it is a non sprung hub against a solid flywheel. now when i upgrade (if i still have this car) i will get a sprung hub clutch. but like i said my solid on solid clutch combo dosent chatter and grabs like an ex wife to her cut of the divorce.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well i guess its either the one i have on order now or pay 2000 for a replacement clutch kit and flywheel that won't be staged. i dont know what to do cuz its already ordered. guess ill call the shop in the morning and get prices and availability. but its probably going to be oem...is that better then xtd?

·
Registered
256 Posts
no the factory flywheel is a sprung design and weighs in at a whopping 24-27 lbs. your motor has to get that spinning before your car can even start to put power to the ground. a alum flywheel from a good company or even a solid lightweight steel unit weighs less and has less likelyhood of breaking when you start putting more power to the ground. research what it is that you want and then move on from there because if you are metioning factory then mabey performance isen't what you are looking for.

·
Registered
959 Posts
no one is saying not to upgrade. go ahead and upgrade. just don't do it with xtd. if you read peoples reviews after having it awhile, you'll see that its failing. its a cheap knock off from a company that started out making cell phone accessories in korea. need i say more?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright well i guess im just going to put an oem heavy duty clutch in and resurface the flywheel if it needs to be. the mechanic told me in 45 years of work hes only had to replace maybe 10 flywheels tops most of the time resurfacing is good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i just got a clutch from autozone duralast its being installed right now because it has a lifetime warranty they will replace it when it goes bad is what they told me. it seems pretty tough and will work until i start modding my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well im glad i made a good decision i just got the car so i barely know it and its a pretty big thing. but still on my gt v6 6 speed the fram 7317 or whatever it lists is way too small i got the fram 3593 is that correct someone please tell me,u don't wanna see another tib down.

·
Registered
256 Posts
just to let you know that the 6 speed tib has a dual mass flywheel that cannot be resurfaced. that is why you need a new flywheel

·
Registered
256 Posts
no that would be a good thing because that part is only about $40.00 not $400.00 and the install will take about 30 min from start to finish just make sure that the garage isen't parts swapping to try and get some more money out of you.

def- parts swapping... to not really diagnose a problem just pick somthing that could be at fault and change it out for the sake of saying it is broken.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok both the clutch master and slave cylinder ARE installed and it wasnt even the problem what a waste, now im getting yelled at cuz i cant return it cuz the stupid mechanic didnt look at the old parts to make sure it was the problem first....now he thinks its the clutch line letting air in it...hes a moron but he thinks that its that because it SEEMS to be letting air out every time he bleeds it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Stick with a steel flywheel. Because aluminium is not worth the weight savings when the steel ring gear flys off after x amount of heat cycles. It will happen expessially to a hard driver or sir clutch alot (I do alot of twisty road driving). I stoped using the clutch (except for first gear) for daily driving around town.

Off topic, Lucid dream WTF is a Stage 2 weight reduction?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts