Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Elantra GLS with 3,000 miles on the odo. Took it for it's first oil change and they couldn't change the filter - the aftermarket one's they had for my car didn't fit!!!:mad: I didn't have time to call the dealer b4 they closed but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem??

I'm going to the hyundai place tomorrow and get a new "Hyundai" filter, see if that solves my issue.

Any other ideas?? Thanks

vamedic4

·
Registered
146 Posts
Buy a bunch of filters, some good-quality synthetic oil, and a pan in order to change it yourself. Those 'quickie-lube' places will rake you over the coals. There are a few good ones, and a lot of bad ones.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The HD Elantra ONLY takes the OEM filter. There have been issues with the oiling when aftermarket filters are used.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are TSB's for this issue of aftermarket filters. Ticking, knocking , and low oil pressure. Use only Hyundai oil filters. Aftermarket may say they are the same. But they are not the same inside. I have seen many Fram and Wix filters come into the shop causing all kinds of issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't say you can *only* use OEM filters, but there is a TSB that talks about problems with using aftermarket filters. The TSB does not name names, but it's common knowledge that Fram was the worst offender, at least when the TSB was written (don't know if they've fixed the problem).

Part of the problem is that Honda and Hyundai filters have the same base, but Honda bypass valve pressures are higher than for Hyundais, meaning that under times of high oil demand, a Honda-spec filter can cause oil starvation in a Hyundai.

Purolator makes a good filter for Hyundais, and I think Wix does too. But avoid oil change places that might substitute a Honda-spec filter for a Hyundai-spec one.

In 36,000 miles, I've only used Hyundai OEM filters, either doing the oil change myself or having it done by a dealer. I'm lucky in that a local dealer does the oil changes for $15.95 using the Hyundai filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone!
If most of the above apply, either this engines have a poor oil pump/lub design OR they have a less restrictive oil galleries which requires greater oil flow.. probably someone with the proper knowledge can provide Answer.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
gt5 said:
Hi everyone!
If most of the above apply, either this engines have a poor oil pump/lub design OR they have a less restrictive oil galleries which requires greater oil flow.. probably someone with the proper knowledge can provide Answer.
The oil pump is fine, but the pressure is lower at the pump. The oil galleries are small, which increases the oil pressure. If there is a restriction at the filter, the pressure at the bearings decreases dramatically.

The reason for the lower pressure is because it does not rob as much power from the engine.

This design has been used since 2001.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cclngthr said:
The oil pump is fine, but the pressure is lower at the pump. The oil galleries are small, which increases the oil pressure. If there is a restriction at the filter, the pressure at the bearings decreases dramatically.

The reason for the lower pressure is because it does not rob as much power from the engine.

This design has been used since 2001.
almost logical BUT if all depends on a a ultra low (one dollar) restriction filter something is not very right, in my days if galleries/tolerances are tight= more pressure to reach far away points n keep passages clean/unobstructed; generous galleries requires more flow...regardless of set up, longevity can not depend in a oil filter "brand" (cheap in this case). don't you agree?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts