Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change over to Kicker and what everyone’s opinion who has it or has had it before. I have a Kenwood head unit, Kenwood components up front and Kenwood coaxials in the rear. I'm looking to add a 4 channel amp, a mono amp and a pair of Solo Baric 10's to replace my single Fosgate Punch S3. The Kicker gear sounds good but I can't really get a feel for how it will sound in the car so I'm relying on your experience’s to help guide my decision. Oh also the particular amps I'm considering are either the ZX350.4 and the ZX1000.1 or the SX700.4 and the SX1250.1. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used to have a Kicker comp sub in my car... Not the loudest of subs but great response and sound... Apart from that i cant offer too much more info.

·
Registered
978 Posts
First off, go with the ZX series amplifiers, tried and proven to be reliable.

My experience with kicker really is limited,

Mucho experience with the 12" Kicker s12d (solobaric 12" single voice coil (round solo's) and they rocked in .8 cubic feet each (four of them) sealed enclosure with a single ppi pc1400 (1 x 400 @ 4 ohms, 1 x 800 @ 2 ohms) running the amp at 1 ohm for an est 1000-1100 watts per voltage and amp draw measurements and they sounded great!! Hit hard, low and smooth. This set up has been running in a friends car for over 4 years now with no problems with the subs or amp.

With the new ones, here is my experience:

2 12" L7 brand new in a 2.8 cu ft ported tuned to 32 Hz (2.8 cubes each) with 24 square inches of port on a autotek mx5000. Sounded great, then holy batman, that's alot of magic smoke that comes out of that one (just one of them), the other was fine. Replaced the smoked under warranty, called kicker tech help (the tech help was great) went over the measurements again of the box, the port area, the tuning to ensure that my bass box pro program had it correctly, verified using linear teams program, everything was good to go, wattage was kept down and measured on a fluke 77. SMOKE on 36 mafia with only around 400 watts going to each speaker.

Single kicker L712 in a 3 cubic foot speaker box with 40 square inches of port tuned to 60 Hz for a 62 HZ bump for a slap show, running one of my pg ms1000's. POW, did not even get a read on it, blew the voice coil right out of the gap. Great, popped it back in for another run, weird sound, then nothing. Great, (did not expect the sub to really take it, with feeding over 1800 watts per coil, I am not stupid, I know it would not take it, but entry level JBL's take the wattage for a short period, only needed three seconds out of it. Oh well

Talking to someone who knows alot about Kicker L7's and ran the 10's until switching over to JBL, not allowed to mention the name here, but considering that I used to go to world finals alot as a competitor, figure it out. Says that if it were up to her, the team would not be running the solo's either, but sponsorship is sponsorship, and she was looking forward to the change. now look at what they just did this past season.

The speakers are over rated for what they really are. Great for daily driving, and people DO have success with them, the solo X is a great speaker and is what i think kicker should have made the reagular solo into, but marketing is marketing, sales are sales, and they are a major corp in america that the ultimate goal is to SELL SELL SELL.

If you have the ability to wait for some speakers, onyx, DD, Treo are all great speakers and are avail at low prices + shipping. Spend some time on Sounddomain.com or termpro.com and alot of people know their crap. Just ignore the ones who put down certain equipment just because who makes it.

If you are looking for a great kicker speaker that will perform to your expections, then look at the kicerk compVr, now that is a great all around speaker for the price.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have done a few cars with kicker, the best one was probably my brother's probe had a kicker square 12" it and a 800w mono amp, it didn't sound good at all even in that tight pre-fab box he got for that sub, but it was pretty loud it was really underpowered though. I personally am not that impressed with kicker it isn't a bad brand but I would rather use JL subs that are built for SPL also louder, and their amps have some power but they are not that clean. If I were you and you are stuck on Kicker I would use a different brand for you four channel amp atleast and do a sub and sub amp kicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts