Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently played around with a 1990 5.0l ford mustang maf and found it to run too low of voltage " 0.35V"at idle too tune with SAFC II and my 660 RC inj. installed . But it got me thinking about the amount of air the new maf is actually reading verses the amount of the factory hyundai is reading and the diameter of the actually mafs. I started thinking about how to alter the amount of air actually cooling the hot wire in the sensor and by doing this it keeps the voltage down at idle and extends the range the sensor has before pegging max. By simply taping half of the sensor opening to the wire inside of the maf. I dont recommend to do this because there is a chance that something may come loose and go through the turbo, again DO NOT TRY unless you are 100% sure of your ability to do so. Ill also post pics as soon as i can to better understand . This basically makes a smaller surface area for the incoming air to cool the wire therefor allowing more air to enter the engine before pegging occurs. Still in trial before ill reccommend this mod but very promising.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I wouldnt tape the maf. If you are maxing it out you need to swap to larger unit, more maf diamater = more airflow to equate the same amount of voltage as the smaller one. Also if you are tuning with an safc and larger injectors you need to remove maf voltage in order to tune for the larger injectors so you shouldnt be maxing it out anyway....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was a idea in the right direction just not with the factory MAF. I have since got the 3 inch mustang maf working on the car and there is no flat spots now and mid throttle is way better and no maxing out off the maf . So far 18 PSI is only generating 4.1 volts on the SAFC readout how ever to be safe i have retarded timing via Msd three degrees at first . Ill keep you posted .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would agree with omgbossis21, you would be better off with a bigger maf. If you need to, take out the actual sensor and just put it into a bigger pipe. I am actually quite amazed that you are that close to maxing out a 3 inch mustang maf. If I remember correctly the Ford max is 5 volts. Is it the 4 wire or 6 wire MAF?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts