Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
B&M oil relocation and cooler kit for a honda...

thread size was the same. i picked it up at a v8 shop and the older gentleman was very nice in checking thread size, etc.

i have the plate on the block, it runs up to the oil filter on the passenger size and sits where the windshield washer filler neck is on a mount, and the outlet runs down to the cooler, right infront of the radiator on the passenger side.

the guy at the v8 shop said on his project cars they typically only use the relocation kit as it'll put the oil filter in a dif location and cool the oil filter/oil. (aka behind a headlight, similar to what we do w/ intake filters)

·
Registered
298 Posts
On my elantra turbo I ran a 16 vein Setrab oil cooler. ran off a sandwich plate or rather an adapter plate which re-routed the oil thru the cooler then back into the filter and into the engine.... very simple gadget really... it created only 0.012bar additional pressure on the oil which basicall meant it ran freely with no hassles.

the adapter screwed directly onto the area where the oil filter would go, then have the filter screw ontop of that.... thus creating a "bypass" for the oil thru the cooler.

IMO ..every car that goes turbo should have a cooler... it helped HEAPS... dropped the oil temp from around 140deg Celcius when racing to a low 70 - 80 degrees... oil lasted longer and not neccessary for additional cooling after that. water or otherwise.

Also prolonged engine life... specially with the beta engine hydraulic lifters.... went from a hectic tapping sound to a normal sounding engine no matter how hard I drove at ANY ambient temp.

Grant

[Edited by lostbuoy on Mar 2, 2006 11:00 AM]

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Since the 4G63T runs extremely hot, I decided to fit a huge-ass cooler for when the car goes to its normal operating temps: Setrab's 7-1/2" x 16" 25-row. I use AN-12 fittings and braided lines that run to Speedflow push-on fittings straight to the block, where the oil pump is located. On Hyundai, this area is sealed off with allen key bolts, so you need to possibly tap it for using the much bigger line. I mounted my oil cooler between the radiator and intercooler, which is possible because I have removed the AC condesner. I made up the brackets to hold the cooler where it is, and on the older Elantras and Evo 4-6, it will just fit into the space between the upper and lower limit of the front mounting panel. You would simply need to use rivet nuts to create the hardpoints. It looks pretty stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts