Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car started to misfire, and I hooked it up to a obdII scanner onto my laptop it said it was the pn0104 or something, 4th cylinder misfire, the one closest to the pulley's had a lot of oil on it after removing the plug, it still seemed wet or saturated,all the other plugs seemed fine and consistent with a whitish haze to them, The PCV valve tube didn't seem clogged only had a little bit of oil in it.

My accent which is a stick sounds like my old Ford F-150 when you are climbing a hill or are at the lower end of the speed range for a gear, it sounds like a rattling noise in the bottom end of the engine, but it doesn't lack power or anything just sounds old.

Its got like 85000 on it and I changed the plugs and wires at about 50,000, I never had it shop serviced at all.

I just though that maybe that theres something worse going on, than a PCV valve, its a PITA that you can't get half the parts from auto stores, but I was told about RockAuto.com that sells all ignition electronics and sensors cheaper than dealers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, I don't have a gauge yet but a friend let me borrow a 160psi Pressure gauge that looks like a compression tester style with a readout and a hose attachment , but its missing the spark plug head adapter, have you seen the head adapters around? I'm going to ask the auto zone if they have them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car hasn't been starting well the past 2 weeks now it didn't start at all

My car hasn't been starting well the past 2 weeks now it didn't start at all.

The last time this happened I was at work and got it roll started only after coasting down a big hill near my work.

Just keeps cranking and turning over, sometimes I try to give it gas when it seems close to starting, but its just will not run. I remember testing the coil packs at about 45K and the resistance seemed within specs.,

I do hear the fuel pump turning on, and notice the smell of gas when I popped the hood.

I even took my air filter lid off to see if it just needed more air, and still no go.

I had to get a ride to work today, I'll have to check it when I get home,.

·
Registered
464 Posts
How do the spark plugs all look now that it won't start? Do you get gas to all 4 cylinders? Did you inspect the plug wires for arcing and measure their resistance? If the plugs & wires look good try looking when you crank for spark on each plug (out of the head).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not very good with electric testing yet, I'll try that when I get home but I'd be somewhat surprised if it was the wires or plugs since My wires still look decent the plugs are all gapped properly at .44 from inspecting them over the weekend, only the one that was misfiring on cylinder 4 looked problematic to me and it was b/c of dark thin oil on it. Plugs 1-3 had a whiteish haze to them.
They're platinum though, aren't the plugs supposed to last a ridiculously long time. NGK -R , I didn't get the cheapest ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot for the help, I replaced the NGK platinum plugs with conventional OE style AutoLites that Have a copper core, The car then started right up, Check engine light turned itself off. But It does intermittently misfire and sometimes sounds rough. Hopefully it stays nice out this weekend so I can check the wires and Coil packs...

How many miles do you typically see out of these coil packs?

·
Registered
464 Posts
It depends. You might never need to replace a coilpack.

When you inspect the wires, pay close attention to the places where they rub each other, and where they rub the corners of the brackets and valve cover. If there is a spot that looks a little worn-down, especially if there is a matching spot on the next wire, and especially if the worn spot has a bit of a white ring around it... that is high-voltage arcing, going somewhere besides the plug.

Good job replacing the plugs and having it back running again. If those are the original wires it would probably be about time to replace them, also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts