Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has intalled the new Windows Service Pack 2 have you noticed any of your normal programs not operating properly now? I noticed that my HP Image ZonePlus software stopped working and had to get an update from it from HP. Well now I also noticed that the "autoplay" function of Windows is no longer working. By this I mean that when I put in any type of cd to my CDRW/DVD rom drive it will recognize it and I can use it..but the dialog prompt doesn't come up anymore asking what program I would like to use to access the disc contents. I have tried numerous things..even messing around with the autoplay settings. I wonder if the new SP2 messed this funtion up too. Has this happend to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well don't get me wrong..I like the new Service pack and how it includes popup blocker and firwall protection plus other enhancments...but I am getting pissed how it it is messing with my programs. I got my Image ZonePlus working but I can't get the Autoplay to work..and go figure...Help and Support Chat is unavailable.

PS...you can get the Service Pack 2 installation CDROM sent to you..but it takes like 4 weeks. I just left my computer on overnight and it only took like 4hours to download. :dead:

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I am a comp tech

1 word GARBAGE

So many conflicts and errors BAH

Screw MS

Thats why I don't use MS unless I have to
Mozilla and all other FREE OPEN SOURCE things for me :)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I was able to fix it. I guess somehow the windows registry values for autoplay were changed and I had to fix one of the values. Hopefully nothing else is messed up from SP2. Besides those 2 small problems...SP2 isn't that bad...gotta love the free popup blocker...except a window may still pop up..but it won't load.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Service Pack 2 sucks... MS released it knowing it had bugs... they even said as much.. they are using the consumers as the beta testers and fixing things as they crop up. If you like to online game.. do not even think about installing SP2

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah if it becomes a bigger problem I am going to uninstall the damn thing.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
SP2 = DEATH!!!

It almost killed my laptop. I uninstalled the damn thing as soon as I could.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Originally posted by Mad-Machine
[body]
Service Pack 2 sucks... MS released it knowing it had bugs...they are using the consumers as the beta testers and fixing things as they crop up.
[/body]
What else is new? Don't forget the phone number for free Microsoft SP2 support is 888-SP2-HELP (888-772-4357).

[Edited by fixati0n on Sep 30, 2004 9:17 AM]

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
There's alot of background things that are changed... even in SP1. For example if you have a network, you can't even send messages anymore.

Messaging is no longer available.
Other things with com ports and such are changed. I used to use my laptop to run Webjal to edit/download to cell phones but on a SP1 device it will not work due to the enhanced security with com ports. You actually have to download a "fix" which really hacks part of the SP's to allow the program to work. Also, there have been a number of people that said downloading it has screwed with their ability to use a phone as a modem, even with USB and the new drivers.

Oh well....

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Originally posted by omgimonfire
[body]
Im seriously about to go to windows 98, or switch to windows 2000.
[/body]
Heh... I use Win2K at work and Win98 at home (where my computer is a technological fossil). Kind of makes me glad given all the stuff I've heard about XP.

[Edited by stickshift on Sep 30, 2004 11:16 AM]

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
blah.. as with most operating systems (except winME, that one did suck), the OS isnt the bad thing (for the most part), its the users!

as with XP SP2, you can avoid the problems if you use a set of precautions...search the internet or go to a computer help forums (suchs as forums.techguy.org) and you can find many success stories with no problems ......

i bet more than half the people out there with problems with SP2 is caused by their own stupidity with spyware installed, cant figure out how to install a basic patch, etc ......

and besides, you can download a patch that will disable the SP2 download until sometime next year anyways ... just download all the other updates .....

actually, my comp at home is still winXP, not even SP1 .... never got around to it ... still download the updates and never have any problems on my comp ...

[body]Service Pack 2 sucks... MS released it knowing it had bugs...they are using the consumers as the beta testers and fixing things as they crop up.[/body]
are you kidding me? alot of the bugs ahve to deal with the software makers themselves!

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Originally posted by jaeSun
[body]
actually, my comp at home is still winXP, not even SP1 .... never got around to it ... still download the updates and never have any problems on my comp ...
[/body]
Yeah, one of my copies of XP isn't cracked yet to install SP1.
:lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts