Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a turboed 99 hyundai excel twincam and i use a microtech LT10 for engine management... I'm looking to up the boost after i get bigger injectors n a decompression plate but to pull this off properly i want to use an electronic boost controller so i have less boost for lower gears and higher boost for later gears... I really wanted to use an Apexi AVC-R to do the job but someone told me that its not compatible with microtechs...

Can I or can i not use the Apexi AVC-R to manage my boost?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
There is no reason for it not to be compatible with a microtech. You hook up a power , a ground (2 points on the same wire), speed signal, rpm signal or injector signal (prefer rpm) and a throttle signal. If you have those things (and you do) you can use it. Not only will it allow you to control boost based on gear/rpm it will allow you to begin to spool up faster. Its a expensive unit but a awesome investment.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thats what i like to hear... so it wont mess with the microtech's signals cos im pretty sure it taps into the injector wires aswell... Also, i wont need an external wastegate to use the AVC-R will i? I'm running a TD04L turbo off a 2001 WRX, i read somewhere that not having an external wastegate messes with small turbos when using AVC-R... Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Chances are you will not wire the avc-r to your injector signal as its purpose is for monitoring the injector duty cycle. Doing so eliminates boost control by rpms (which makes it not so fun). On another note you can run a wire to the injector signal and another wire to the rpm signal and run them both to a switch to the avc-r to switch back and forth so you can monitor the injector signal. As long as you know the injectors are up to handling the power output why bother. Doesnt ur system monitor that? So it would be pointless to hook to the avc-r if so. Having a internal wastegate wont matter much with the avc-r. I have an internal wastegate and am doubling the set internal pressure with no problems (I was having probs but found out it was a boost leak, its all back to normal now). Make sure to hook up EVERY wire to the avc-r, dont skimp out on any (except the injector signal wire which doubles as the rpm wire). Othewise it will be very unstable lol. Now get it installed! O yeah, I would say tune it yourself, dont have a shop do it. Its not really that complicated and I would be more than happy to help you out with it, just post up about it. The only reason I say DIY is you can tune to your liking, not the shops. Gear based boost control ROCKS!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, the reason i want the AVC-R is so i can change boost at different gears so i can have low boost in 1st n 2nd and have way higher boost in the higher gears so that i can get traction when i need it... If im unable to use the AVC-R's boost control by revs feature then i dont really need it at all :(... so there's no way i can have my microtech hooked up with the AVC-R and do what i want?

If its any help, my microtech is only wired in piggy back style and not standalone...

·
Registered
279 Posts
microtech dosent have a piggy back stlye, you mean you have the stock computer runing aircon???

piggy back is like the apexi afm thing, it moddifies standard ecu signals, microtehc doent do that

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You can use it, you still have a wire that reads rpms right? You just hook that wire up to the apexi unit (its the purple wire) and that part is all done.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it, thanx guys... looks like i'll get the AVC-R after all... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts