Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a 2002 Hyundai Accent GSi project and am reaching the point of no return. I already have a 1.5" drop + GR2s installed, 16" wheels and tires installed, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust + resonator installed, oil pan is tapped for a return line from the turbo. I have the following in the garage waiting to go in:
-Garret T3 internally gated turbo
-Custom T3 flanged log style manifold
-Front mount intercooler (with most of the piping complete)
-manual boost controller
-Apexi Neo
-All turbo oil and cooling lines
-Boost gauge
Now my problem is I'm losing interest in this project, I don't know if its worth completing anymore. If you have any videos that might convice me otherwise post them up, maybe you can help spark my interest again. Or if you know anyone that might be interested in buying an almost complete turbo kit for a 1.6 DOHC Accent point them my way.

·
Registered
435 Posts
had the same problem, read some other posts and threads.... (mine) and you'll be inspired again!

·
Registered
43 Posts
just do it...i would kill to have a turbo accent.... that makes it unique ....

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've heard of many LC accents just running 150 at the wheels and they blow the doors off a lot more then just civics.
Fintle is only boosting 5psi and hes been taking the mini type S as if they were parked on the road.
definatly talk to him because Im sure hes been racing better cars then that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
basically it comes down to them saying "did i just get beat by a hyundai?:confused:"

·
Registered
502 Posts
Im planning on boosting 7 psi with a 14b on my alpha engine and power estimates around 175 WHP 200CHP I've seen people with around 185WHP in boosted beta engines beating Stock EVO's so I definatly have high expectations for my car.
but i dont expect to be pounding EVO's with it, but hell if I do its just 1 more person going to say "WTF IS THAT?!?!"

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Save your money for better, more friendlier platforms to work on. If its the "time spent" you are worried about and not the money, then I'd say complete it since its just sitting there in your garage. Will look nice on your resume.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Save your money for better, more friendlier platforms to work on. If its the "time spent" you are worried about and not the money, then I'd say complete it since its just sitting there in your garage. Will look nice on your resume.
well said, I've always gone against the norm in the cars I modify(because i'm cheap) but its fun doing something a little different. I'd love to have the aftermarket that most hondas do but I like a challenge. If you don't want to put in the time and effort it takes to modify a crooked h car then there are plenty of great cars out there with much more aftermarket to make it easier on you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the project is underway again and hopefully will be out of the shop and on the road tonite so we can start tuning! I will post pictures when its done and some progress pics. Its getting T3-T04E (iirc) 60 trim turbo with the internal gate set at 8 psi for the time being.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Glad to hear it. What kind of tunning system you going to be using?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy **** the little beast pulls like a raped ape!

We are using an Apexi SAFC Neo for tuning, for now anyway. Speaking of which, anyone want to share their settings? We are having trouble pushing the 4000 rpm limit right now, it leans right out (no fun!). I can't wait to get it dialed in a little better. The season closer at our local drag strip is in a little less than 2 weeks, need to have it done by then.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ok 4000 rpm u lean out like crazy.
did you swap injectors or do a fuel preusure stablizer?
if you didnt then that would help.

if thats not it check the psi you are hitting at that rpm and report back.

·
Registered
502 Posts
then I'd say complete it since its just sitting there in your garage. Will look nice on your resume.
can you PM me with an exaple on how to put that on a resume because I have never heard that before and my father in law laughed at me for mentioning it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
at 8psi with my previous setup i was going super lean

your going to have to go big on the injectors to get that to work right if not your always gonna be lean.

I was using a 255 walbro, beta 240ccs and a bell rrfpr and at 5-6 psi i had a great a/f ratio any more boost though and the injectors were at full duty cycle and that's a big no no.

On an lc/2 I would go with something like a 450-500cc injector and then use the afc to pull the injector cycle back. You might have idle problems with that big of an injector but its going to be the safest route for you.

I would highly recommend a wideband if you don't already have one. This will give you a peek at your a/f at all times in your tuning process. Even though i'm not turbo'd anymore I still keep mine in the car to monitor a/f ratios for the fun of it. If the conditions change I can throw in a few adjustments on the safc2.

Tuning is a tricky thing, I'd play it safe and go with a bigger fuel system than one that is too small.

Good luck I know how much fun a turbocharged accent can be I just couldn't deal with the reliabilty problems anymore.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the road again, still working on the beast. It goes out to the shop tonite to creat a 3" downpipe finally after running open turbo for a few days. Once that is done then its some sheet metal work to get the hood to cover it all. Also some bigger injectors will be going in tonite. Here is the only pic I have right now, please excuse the duct tape, we are just using it to cover 2 holes that were in the intake tube before lol

And yes the empty Dunkaroos container is good for 2 to 3 hp!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
can you PM me with an exaple on how to put that on a resume because I have never heard that before and my father in law laughed at me for mentioning it.
Wasn't really thinking Job Search resume but I guess it depends on what type of job you are applying for. You can always toss it under "Interests & Hobbies" or "Major Acomplishments" with a statement that says "designed, assembled, and implemented a custom forced induction air/fuel intake system that yeilded an X% increase in performance over stock". I dunno.

I was thinking more like: Phil's 2001 Hyundai Accent

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Biggie, what are you using for the oil and coolant feed/return? And, what did you tap into for those? Obviously the pan for the oil return, but what about the oil feed?
I just T-ed off the oil pressure sending unit on the front of the block.

I was supposed to finish my new downpipe last night but the dam parts guy gave me the wrong size V-band and clamp! So instead we did some prelim work before the weekend. We fitted the hood and found it will fit with no external mods (sleeper!), mounted the hood release, did some measuring for larger injectors and just generally cleaned up the install a bit. Tonite the downpipe and hood go on and then I drop it off with a friend/mechanic for some tuning over the weekend. With any luck when I get out there Sunday to lend a hand she will have a decent tune in the Neo, or if that fails we will be wiring in a Megasquirt 3.57!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts