Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :) I have a 2001 Elantra and its, as well as I, in need of some of the wisdom of you elantra enthusiasts. I drive pretty aggresively, and with the quality of hyundai's auto transmissions, it's already starting to die at 42k :( I plan on doing a IHE upgrade in the near future and Im sure the new power wont help it at all lol. My question is, is there a better transmission that can drop in the current ones place that'll be able to handle daily rough driving better? Id hate to spend thousands on another hyundai auto when its just gonna crap out in a few years. Or even better, how difficult would it be to convert it to a manual? I imagine i could find the parts from a manual lantra in a junk yard somewhere, but I dont think i have the skills needed for that kind of job...your thoughts?

Thank you for any help!!! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
manual trans

malantra said:
Hello everyone :) I have a 2001 Elantra and its, as well as I, in need of some of the wisdom of you elantra enthusiasts. I drive pretty aggresively, and with the quality of hyundai's auto transmissions, it's already starting to die at 42k :( I plan on doing a IHE upgrade in the near future and Im sure the new power wont help it at all lol. My question is, is there a better transmission that can drop in the current ones place that'll be able to handle daily rough driving better? Id hate to spend thousands on another hyundai auto when its just gonna crap out in a few years. Or even better, how difficult would it be to convert it to a manual? I imagine i could find the parts from a manual lantra in a junk yard somewhere, but I dont think i have the skills needed for that kind of job...your thoughts?

Thank you for any help!!! :)
It is better to change the car to be manual trans but wer will need a lot of things

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Level 10 won't do as much as people think. A better option is to add a cooler and use SP-III fluid.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I thought that Hyundai's transmissions needed to use Hyundai fluid...

Level 10 trannies are actually REALLY good... They'll install a custom shift kit probably, and maybe add a higher final gear and some over drive gears. Email them and ask them what they can do for you. A high stall torque converter is ALWAYS good too!

Howie~

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Asian_907 said:
I thought that Hyundai's transmissions needed to use Hyundai fluid...

Level 10 trannies are actually REALLY good... They'll install a custom shift kit probably, and maybe add a higher final gear and some over drive gears. Email them and ask them what they can do for you. A high stall torque converter is ALWAYS good too!

Howie~
SP-III is the Hyundai fluid.

I have had experience with Level 10 rebuilds and feel they don't last as long because of the materials they use for the clutches and how they make it shift firmer. The way Hyundai designed and programmed the trans to shift is it will spin up the next higher gear before it releases the lower gear. Level 10 assumes it releases the lower gear and jumps to the next gear.

The stock trans can handle up to 300 hp with no added cooling system put on it. The auto actually does better with high hp than the manual.

It is relatively easy to cook the fluid. It is better to just put an additional cooler on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts