Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
A couple of days ago I did a search in the forms here for opinions of alternative auto tranny fluids. From what I read, it appear that Redline was a good choice.
So I went onto Redline's website and discovered that their C+ ATF is the best choice for my Accent's 97 4spd OD auto tranny (7176 according to Haynes). Also the Redline website said I can buy their products from any Canadain Tire store here in Ontario.
Off I went on Saturday ready to plunk my money down on some Redline, but that's when I discovered something else.
Only the Redline MOTOR oil is available in Canada, not the auto (& possibily manual)tranny fluid. Even if I where to order the tranny fluid from Redline directly, the shipment would not make it pass customs.
Apparently it's something to do with the whole cross border trade changes that came about due to 9/11.
I first noticed the crossborder change when ordering Intel branded products for my work, t-shirts allowed but nice demin shirts are not.

Now after that long story if anybody is still reading, is there any other auto tranny products available that's comparable to Redline?

I can always ask someone I know to stop at an auto parts store on his trucking runs, but I don't want him going to jail for smuggleing Redline across the border. :)

"what you in for son?"
"redline"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy Lubrication Batman!!
They have everything but KY jelly on that site.

It appears that after searching that site, the bottomline is stick with the tranny oil from Hyundai.

another site to add to my favourites.
thanks, Pucci.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
well im going to teh states soon, I can pick some up for you if you want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the offer Jed, but I'll think I may just stay with the cheaper Dealer fluid for now.
at least until I'm certain the Accent is going to last for a while.

but to highjack my own topic...
Being the "recycle yard guru" that you are, have you ever come across a non-cracked valve cover for a 97 1.5 SOHC?
(I tried to replace the PCV when I first got the car, not so cheap, $200 new, plastic valve cover cracked on me)

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Yeah I've seen a few good ones, so long as the car was brought there under it's own power. Usually ones that have been hit (from anywhere) are cracked. Once I saw a valve portruding from one... :dead:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah Pucci, I saw that link in another post & only found one yard that had a valve cover.
They where in North bay, called them & that cover was also crack around the PCV like I did to mine.
The quest continues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts