Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well My LC is gone and it's time to look into the future.

Details on the LC
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/showroom/79184-boom.html

It's time to buy my next vehicle. I was going with the SR but I need a 4dr. It was the Accent 4 dr or the Kia Rio 5dr. I like the Kia Rio 5dr a bit better. It has a sport version with sunroof and everything else whereas the Accent 4dr doesn't have a sport version with sunroof and sport tuned suspension, etc....

Anyways, to the point. Auto or Manual? Which is more reliable? I'm kind of sick of driving manaul since the GTA is nothing but traffic everyday. This CVT or CVVT (whatever it's called) what does it do (i know it the tranny so..) and suggestions on what are the downsides of the auto besides the performance and economy... Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
5spds are more reliable in the long run, give you more control in bad conditions, and are faster. Most of the time they get better gas mileage.

The CVVT for hyundai is variable valve timing. It does what an adjustable cam gear does, but it changes depending on the rpm and amount of throttle. Mostly for emissions on hyundais, but it does seem to help with mid range power. Hyundai does not have a CVT yet. A few diffrent versions are out, mostly they use a belt. Think about how your mountain bike changed ratios. Its kinda like that but they dont have to jump gears. Two pulleys move, changing the distance the belt has to travel around the output shaft, that changes the gear ratio. It never really "shifts gears". I'm not going to touch one of those until they are proven to be reliable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i'd go with 5spd. much more reliable, and if it desides it doesn't wanna start bump start her! lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
does hyundai come with the cvt trani?

i work at a dodge chrysler jeep dealership and work on the cvvt 2.0l and 2.4l engines all the time they seem to be half way decent engines but the cvt tranis suck

and if you were wondering the 1.8l 2.0l and 2.4l cvvt engine is called the world engine due to three different companies contributing on the manufactuering of the motors the idea came from mitsubishi but daimler chrysler, and hyundai also had their hands in on the production to my knowledge mitsu is the only one using the 1.8l while chrysler uses 2.0l and 2.4l and i think hyundai only uses the 2.0l and 2.4l also

·
Registered
860 Posts
I prefer manuals just for the fact that for myself anyways I feel like I have more controll over the situations I am in! I have only had one automatic and I also found that I tend to not pay as much attention to the road and my surroundings in an automatic where in a manual I pay more attention!:rolleyes: So manuals are funner!!!:D

·
Registered
687 Posts
A few of you know I always chip in on this...

I think Autos are far more superior than Manual. I love my manual cars, but sometimes, driving is just nice as is. If you drive spirited, you can always upgrade your automatic tranny and it's not as complicated as people think. There isn't much for Hyundai trannies, so you might have to get it custom machined, but a lot of places make shift kits and custom high-stall torque converters.

They handle more power, shift perfectly and when push comes to shove... You can kick back, relax and enjoy the drive.

Howie~

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You are still lacking a gear to the 5spds (with the older trans anyway) and you are still going to loose more power pushing it through an auto. A clutch upgrade is alot easier/cheaper than replacing the torque converter on a hyundai.

If a 5spd (insert any hyundai here) gets beat by an auto hyundai of the same model with mods being equal... the person with the 5spd needs to learn how to drive.

The only time I would rather have an auto is in HEAVY stop and go traffic. Something I don't have to deal with much. The only thing I like better than a manual is a sequential, that is truly the best of both worlds. To bad there isn't anything I can afford that has one :D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Pick an auto and you need to spend $1000+ on bolt ons just to equal the power output of the same car as a manual with our little cars.

If you want to ONLY cruise - or your traffic is stop and go every single day - or if you have something with 300+hp - then it can make sense. Or if its your preference it makes sense for that reason alone.

I can't wait until our local track day to post up the differences in quarter mile times. Our dyno day (21 Hyundais/KIA's I think) was eye opening enough. My 1.6l was only a hair under the 2.0l's with autos. Losing 10% more power to the wheels is not worth having a transmission shift (often at undesireable times) for me. That's what the difference was on the dyno (or more) time and time again.

If you like driving the auto, fine. Drive it for that reason. Building an all out drag Hyundai? There's another good one. Besides that there's not much of a reason to buy an automatic Hyundai unless you're just a fan of drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sure, manuals are 'better'/'cooler' or whatever.. but in my auto SR, I dont see it as being a huge deal.
Just driving around anytime, I just listen to the engine, you hear the gear reach it's limit, and let off the gas a little, the car shifts, and you put your foot back down.
I joke around with my friends, driving like that.. moving my right hand over the gear shift like i'm shifting gears..
I have total control [usually] of when the car shifts.
i still listen to the engine, know when to shift, but it's like having a very little man under the car shifting for me.
.. plus, even if thats not how it was, an auto tranny makes [usually] perfect shifts. it's computer controlled, and the clutch wont slip or anything like that. No person can really shift better than a computer designed to shift gears.
just rev it up, ease up on the gas, let it shift, go back down on the gas.
looks/sounds like a manual.

prepared for the flame,

- matt.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depends what you want with the car. If you want to just cruise have a nice easy ride and your goal is to get from point A to B then Auto is def way to go. Especially what boob said T.O. traffic is the suck with a manual tranny.

If your goals are to modify the car and have a goal of high HP then you'll kick yourself in the butt for buying a manual.

·
Registered
687 Posts
People think that Manuals are soooo great...

For lightly modded cars, they do have the best efficiency. The powertrain loss gives you about a 4-6% power difference between Auto/Manual trannies and the shifting is crisper, cleaner and just flat out better.

If you want to go into heavily modded cars, Automatic is the way to go. They hold more power, shift percisely, shift faster and are way more reliable than a manual. If you're boosted, then you launch off the line at full boost rather than an engine launch and THEN building boost. Personally though, I perfer having an Automatic because driving in unfavorable conditions such as snow and rain is a lot easier and correcting a driver error is a lot easier.

Manual trannies are sooo much more entertaining thuogh, arent they?!

Howie~

·
Registered
860 Posts
So tell us how Toronto traffic is!?!? Im curious...I have never been there!! I know traffic down here in Seattle can get pretty bad, stop and go, hills, etc. But I still dont think I would give up my manual transmission, LOL!! I love it too much!!:D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
97redtib said:
So tell us how Toronto traffic is!?!? Im curious...I have never been there!! I know traffic down here in Seattle can get pretty bad, stop and go, hills, etc. But I still dont think I would give up my manual transmission, LOL!! I love it too much!!:D

Well, a one way trip to work that would normally take 25-30 minutes takes me 1-1.5 hours.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Damn!!! That is a drive! In that case in your situation I would say automatic but if it were me, manual! Every once in awhile we get really bad stop and go traffic and I hate the clutch and everything but once it frees up I can just cruise!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
97redtib said:
Having driven in both places I would say it's similar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts