Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exaclty do you change the oil in the automatic? I have a 1993 sentra and it's auto but i want to change the fluid in it. According to the pony book it's not that hard, but do I need anything else besides a filter, the pan gasket, and some compatible ATF? Are there any tricks that I could do or test while the pan is off? ALso how do I get all the fluid out of the torque converter and the rad? I want to get as much of the old **** out as possible. How can I do this?

-Jed

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does none of you know how to do this?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
When you do a "standard" transmission service, you drain the fluid out, drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, put it all back together, and add the fluid you replaced with new stuff. Once you get the engine/transmission up to operating temperature, check the fluid with the engine running to ensure that you have the correct amount. However, you're only replacing a portion of the fluid (generally 2 out of 7 quarts because there is a bunch of fluid still held up in the torque converter).

There are some shops that will perform a 100% change out of the fluid. They will have a pump that hooks into the cooling lines. What they will do is add a cleaner and have you run the car around for 15-20 minutes. Upon arrival at the shop, the hook the pump into the cooling lines and with the car running, pump in the new fluid through the return line, pushing all of the old fluid out of the transmission back into the pump. You have to be careful though if the transmission was romped on and the seals are old, some places only recommend doing this for newer transmissions.

I did this on my Audi and the car ran great (replaced all of the old fluid with Amsoil synthetic ATF) for about 4 months until I blew the piston for second gear (but I was also driving the car hard)...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts