Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah yeah, I know. Auto's stink. ;):

It looks like I'll have to replace this transmission...considering I've done everything from completely flushing the fluid, pulse generator BS, taking it to 4 different shops, etc...

Who here has swapped out their old/broken auto tranny for a brand new one? Am I in for a headache? It doesn't seem too difficult...just wondering how much I would save from doing it myself vs having my stealership do it.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
why is it dead? what is it NOT doing properly for you?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In 1st gear especially, when accelerating, it's almost like something is making a grinding sound. The transmission is sluggish overall. I've done almost everything aside from replacing it. Although, funny thing is, I took it to the dealership to get my stock header replaced (got a letter from them saying it might be cracked and they'll replace it for free)..after I got it back, the car performed AMAZING. Almost like it's back to stock (although faster because of my mods..cai..exhaust...etc..). Over the next two or three days, I felt it get back to the way it was. It kind of feels like I have an exhaust leak (only the tranny is very very loud sometimes). Like, when I'm backing up, I can almost hear a rattling from underneath the car.

Weird stuff!

·
Registered
23 Posts
a transmission job is away a headache you have to make a decision on either fixing it or swaping it to a manual or sell it. I'd say it could be somthing serious if you got the fluids changed and brought it to different shops. I got my transmission rebuild but i regret it because it cost me about 2k,I could of saved that money plus some more and got the swap into manual. If I were you I'll go with the swap because even you said it "automatic sucks" that or you can go off fixing it yourself if you know about trasmissions.:ermm:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dude if you are mechanicly inclined you could replace the trans but before you do that check wiring for trans. Is car left outside? Mice do some nice stuff to wiring. Like i said you could do the change on jackstands. Or if you want a stick Like everyone else said swap it to manual. k peaces;):

1 - 7 of 7 Posts