Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 Elantra and want to add an auxiliary battery to use on a power inverter. Does anyone have any knowledge of special concerns or experience with adding a battery to the electrical system on this car? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aux. bat.

I want to install a 700 watt power inverter to use to charge laptop, camera and utility batteries when out in the boonies.

I think that by using a separate battery I can simply run a small gauge (10-12) to the auxiliary battery to keep it charged and then run the inverter off of the aux. bat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
dont skimp on the wire it will carry same voltage as ur one battery so use 4 -8 gauge at the least..... but the only thing it would do is put MAYBE more stress on ur alternator but i think in winter ud start the car alot eaiser and as far as a inverter idk i hate those things i remember when i put a HOME STEREO literally in my moms whole back seat so i knowed whut subs sounded like.... anyways uhhh yeh resident evil 4 is cool

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that there are 2 different types of controller to charge a 2 battery system. One is called a battery isolator and the other a battery separator. The common type used on campers for years is the 'isolator' but due to new designs used in some alternators these can cause a problem and so the 'separator' is used for them. Can anyone tell me which one I need for this car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts