Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay So I went to the track for the first time ever last night. Im not even going to post my time, I didnt even finish the run. I launched in first spinning the tires until redline when I put it 2nd spinning the tires until redline then I put in 3rd spinning the tires until redline in which the race was over and I put in 4th gear and coasted at 65mph till the end of the track. Now the front end of my car "fell" onto the tires when I was spinning rubbing the wheel wells all over the tires. What supsension needs to be replaced to fix that (im not a suspension guy). Im guessing in the burnout box something happened to cause this.... The torque pulled the car down Im guessing, weak suspension. I grinded 2nd really bad (I need a short throw shifter). I overspun in 1st and it went downhill from there. Next time I know more what to expect. Im also thinking that being fully spooled at 1500rpm isnt such a good thing at the track as theirs no time to get a "grip". The track was kinda slippery... I didnt let any air out of my tires but I know Im going to next time. I even rode the clutch in first (spinning away). I got one lousy run in so Im going back next time to get a real time!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, for anyone who can help with the susp. issue my car seems to lean real bad under accel. now.... seems kinda bouncy as well. This weekend im going to take a look at the trans. to see what is going on with my clutch grabbing the way it is (for those of u who seen the post about whatever happened to my car involving the trans). I guess I should of practiced launching the car really hard before I went to the track lol

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
to me, it sounds like ur tires suk. get some 17's and stick some good tires on them and have at it. full boost is fine on the street, but u see what happens at the track.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i wouldn't really got 17's, there is no tyre flex in them you will get crap 60ft times.

Sounds to me like you need to look at your dampners, sounds like they are either on their way out or dead. Also have you stiffened up your engine mounts?

You may need to slip the clutch out a little in 1st and 2nd just enough so you are on the verge of spinning the wheels (squealing tyres)

If your running tyres with a decent sidewall (~60 profile) then definately let a little air out, try some runs without doing a burnout, my best run to date was done without doing a burnout in the box at the start.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mounts I did with the windowweld awhile back they are the stock mounts with lots of miles... I will check them out. Im running some firestones, they are MUCH wider and taller than stock. I dont think burning out on them was a good thing. My friend suggested some traction double A or something? I've got 14s and plan to keep it that way b/c I dont feel like buying new rims.....

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O yeah, can you elaborate on "dampners". I dont know ANYTHING about susp. Im more an engine/wiring guy than anything.....

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
dampners are struts or shocks. and 17's with sticky tires grip like hell, it'll give u more torque steer when ur motor is stock than 14's will. although accel drops, u dont have to worry bout it cuzz ur boosted.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend said he would loan me his other set of wheels for his accent. They are 15's or 17s I cant remember, maybe I should try those next time. Perhaps I could check into another set of wheels. 15's would still be better than my 14's I suppose.... Im going to get some suspension before I worry about that. My suspension is all stock with 108,000 miles on it. Prolly past due lol

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
well, 18's come standard on the cobalt ss. and as well on the srt-4. i wonder why..... evo's boast 17's and so do sti's, i wonder why..... just sell the wheels u have, assuming they are the ones in the pic (easy to sell as they look nice) and get some used 17's and new sticky tires. the best tires i know of are bfg g-force kdw's. they also come stock on srt-4's.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt anyone will buy my tri-stars lol I will ask my friend about selling the rims he has if they are 17's. Other than that I can afford nothing, Im still running open downpipe lol I think I will get new front end susp. first and worry about tires/rims next. I could do with some better handling for sure now.....

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
22 is more like it. but ya never know about those wheels, send a pic my way if ya can;): i have some 17's i can make u a real good deal on because i'm trying to buy but probably wont, silver01accents viax wheels with tires for 600. talk to him, those would look nice on ur car, and they come with parada specs. nice tires

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The time was 21.888 LOL The top speed was 64.64 (my coasting time) :nervous::lol:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by thegrim
[body]
well, 18's come standard on the cobalt ss. and as well on the srt-4. i wonder why..... evo's boast 17's and so do sti's, i wonder why..... just sell the wheels u have, assuming they are the ones in the pic (easy to sell as they look nice) and get some used 17's and new sticky tires. the best tires i know of are bfg g-force kdw's. they also come stock on srt-4's.
[/body]
close, 17s are factory on SRT4, and the ACR package brings in light weight 16s... the g force kdw is a great tire, but heats up and gets too soft really fast for that class of tire, for street/drag, GREAT tire, but i personally wouldn't put it on a race track. although, i will probably purchase these tires when i get new wheels, 15s. BFG scorcher is a great tire for the money, i would reccomend these to anyone on a budget.

·
Registered
182 Posts
17's aren't all that. My uncle had 17's on his RX-7 with sticky tires and he couldn't get **** for hookup, cause he had no sidewall flex. He's running about 3/10ths quicker now on his factory 15's with BFG Comp T/A's. Mind you this is an 87 with a Ford 347 Stroker and a 5-speed swapped in, so it's not exactly slow. But maybe stats are different seeings the accents are FWD vs. RWD.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i had the scorcher t/a's for a while, allright for the twisties but did nothing for take off. I think i get better grip out of my walmart 13 inchers lol. 17's might be a little big if all your going to do is drag, but if you get into some suspension mods later on 17's with some nice rubber will be adequate. 15" rota slipstreams with some 205/50r/15 tires will do nicely. Falken azenis sport tires were the **** but they got replaced now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Questions about your turbo kit? First do you have a front or side mount intercooler? If front mount what kind of mods did you have to do to make the intercooler fit? What kind of engine mods did you do to make the turbo work? Did you custom make your headers or buy a turbo header? Upgraded injectors? Stock ecu or aftermarket? Stock internals? How much do you boost? Does the stock map sensor throw a check engine light when you boost? What size exhaust are you using? The reason for these questions is because I have a turbo kit at home for my LC2 Gt with headers custom made, injectors, side-mount intercooler, custom piping and turbo. I was planning to put the kit on for the spring and summer and any advice tips help or knowledge about how your turbo kit is appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
lol, I was reading through this thinking you meant you went to the TRACK, but it's just a drag strip... lol... oh good god, it is (almost) ALWAYS A GOOD THING to have boost early in a drag setting, you have to know how to drive your car, your right, practice launching, get HARD suspension to eliminate the ammount of weight thrown off the front wheels durring launch.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well as of yesterday I found out my clutch slave cylinder blew a seal (hence my shfting problem lol). Also I shortened my turbo vacuum lines which helped my response alot. Im having alot of traction issues on the street (even in 3rd) so Im chasing some better tires and susp. for now.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
First if you want speed at the track don't go over 15's.
Smaller tires & wheels = less unsprung weight = faster
I think skierd had some track tires for sale, if they weren't still available, I would ask him for advice on tires.

For suspension if you can afford it I would get these
http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com/shop/item.php?i=HWA_CSK0001
I bought some used off the forum. With these you can tighten your suspesion till it rides like a Go-cart and you get no drop or roll on acceleration or turns.
You can also tune them till you get it just the way you want it.
I got my rear real stiff and the front just a little stiffer than stock and it's an awsome ride.
Good luck can't wait to hear about your new times.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts