Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys replaced your lower ball joints on the tib? What tools did you guys use? I'm getting confusing answers from people.

I was thinking of using this:
Neiko USA - Ball Joint / U-Joint / Remover / Installer Set - Easily Remove "press fit parts" without Removing Control Arm

And do I need a hydraulic press, or not? I'm thinking of using the c-clamp/vice grip to press the ball joint in.

My last question, do I need to remove the control arm from the car to do this? I think I do, but some people are telling me I can do it it without removing. I really don't see how!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
At the dealer we usually just replace the lower control arm....
Might be easier and quicker for ya....

I'll look in the tool book and see if we have one for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have replaced both the passanger and driver side at two different times. I went to my local auto zone and rented a tool(prolly not the corect one, but it worked for me). The one side that i repaced was taken off, b/c that's what the repair manual said to do. the other side was left on. if you take off the lower control arm it is deffinately easier to work with, but after removing the first one, i decided just to leave the second side on. Both ways took about the same amount of time, b/c by leaving the controlle arm on, it was more difficult to get tools in around the axle and other suspension part. Keep in mind that you need to pull off the rubber boot around the ball joint b/c there is a snap ring or something similar( i really don't know what it's called) after you get that snap ring off you should just be able to use a b.f.h. to hit it out. Here is were it is easier to take off the L.C.A. use a large socket (if you have one available) and "press" the ball joint in with a bench vice. FYI the socket should fit over the ball joint and rest on the L.C.A. fro the stud side. hope some of these little bits helped. and for everyones info this is the stuff that worked for me. so it may not work for someone else. any other questions just drop me a line. :cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, man!

I decided to just return the ball joints and get the lower control arm instead, from rockauto. The price of the control arm was way less than the price of the ball joint + tools. Besides, by buying the control arm, not only were the ball joints new, but the arm was new (no rust like the one on my car), and the bushings are also new.

But the next time I need to change ball joints, I'm gonna use a vice instead of getting a hydraulic press. At least I know that it's do-able 'cause it worked for you.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Umm, taking a control arm off of the car to remove the BJ, vs. keeping it on and removing just the BJ, and you guys are saying it's easier to remove the control arm? LOL have fun with the front bushing!! I'm NEVER touching that again. It's MUCH easier to pull the knucke ass'y, move it over, put several bricks under the control arm, and HAMMER THE **** out of the balljoint (after removing the clip) and then press a new one in using a balljoint installer. NEVER hammer it in hard fom underneath, as you may destroy the center plate (hammering around the outside is OK)

It takes MUCH less time to do it that way, I don't know why you masochists want to put yourselves through taking off the entire control arm... :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts