Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep hearing unpleasant vibration's cause of the sony xplod speaker's i have in my car,
i've been thinking for either spraying the bottom hatch cavity with rubberized undercoating or buying the dynomat which is costly..will doing this help me hear more bass?

i just need to hear the bass mor crisply again.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Is the speaker making the noise or just vibrating other things? Walmart sells some knock-off sound insulating material that works rather well I hear. If its the speaker just replace them or turn the bass down....

·
Registered
13 Posts
go to home depot. in the roofing dept. you'll see a product called ice guard. it's basicall the thing as dynamat minus the cost. i believe at home depot it's around 25.00 for 100.0 sq feet. trust me, if you install it right you wont tell the difference between this stuff and dyna-rape you for money.....errrhhmm i mean dynamat.

in the insulation isle there is also a adhesive backed "foam" type stuff i hear works ok and it's lighter. i believe you can buy 1", 2", and 3" version.

not sure on cost

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
you might need to put some foam weather striping behind the speaker where it mounts and also on the grill.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Go with Solo's post and gashbasher's post I wouldn't do bass blockers unless you have sub because your car would sound horrible without the low end bass. Since rear speakers are normally larger then front speakers and are normally cabable of lower frequencies you wouldn't want to "block their bass" it would fix the rattles but cause a whole other problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i did my trunk with ice guard. i'm glad i did. waaaaay less road noise, cleaner, crisp bass. it also takes care of any of those rattles (dont forget about license plate, use 2 sided tape or someting like that to solve that problem). i cant wait to get the time to do my cabin. it'll be like rollin in a caddi (noise wise anyway) lol.

also, like was suggested by mod make sure you add some weather stripping between the 6x9 and the metal of the rear deck.

i'm about to start a new project on the rear deck. when i get my new amp i'm goin to port it to acchieve more bass responce and, relieve some of the pressure in my trunk. when my subs hit, if you watch my 6x9's they move about 1.5" up from the air pressure. i could do this by lowering the seats. but, i dont like that.

sorry to jack the thread.

[Edited by gashbasher on Dec 19, 2005 7:30 AM]

[Edited by gashbasher on Dec 19, 2005 7:47 AM]

·
Registered
886 Posts
We completely built a new rear deck in a car once and made a hole in the deck, from research I can't remember where I found that you gain about 3db on the meter by cutting a hole in the rear deck, the car was loud but I didn't do a comparison before and after so I am not sure of the real difference.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by LilTimmy
[body]
Go with Solo's post and gashbasher's post I wouldn't do bass blockers unless you have sub because your car would sound horrible without the low end bass. Since rear speakers are normally larger then front speakers and are normally cabable of lower frequencies you wouldn't want to "block their bass" it would fix the rattles but cause a whole other problem.
[/body]

I would still recommend the bass blockers. Sony 5.25" Xplod speakers sound like garbage on the lower frequencies, and while not my personal preference, they sound fine(okay for a daily driver) on the mids and highs, even if they do break up when fed their rms on a sine sweep at 15000 - 20000 kHz.

I would also, if you like small amounts of bass put in the new memphis sub that was able to play down to 30Hz and only cost 100 dollars and does not require alot of power. This would be the ideal setup and not take up alot of space.
[Edited by meee2yo on Dec 19, 2005 7:44 PM]

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bass blockers are a good idea, and I agree those Sony's probably sound like crap at about 60 Hz but if you don't have a sub in the car then you would have no response for lower frequencies it would like listening to half the music. So if you add the sub go with bass blockers. If you are willing to spend the money go with an active crossover instead of bass blockers but they work for the $5-10 that they cost.

meee2yo- I don't mean to be a prick or anything but people take info and run I have seen it so I am picky on the miss types it should be fine sweep from 15000-20000 Hz or 15-20 kHz. No human or even animal I am aware of can hear 20000 kHz.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you are right lil timmy

20,000 Hz, not 20,000 kHz you are correct, brain fart on my part.

and no, I do not think you are a prick,

on the topic of pricks, remember the rules children:

it's okay to prick your finger, but not okay to finger your prick!! :)

[Edited by meee2yo on Dec 20, 2005 4:27 PM]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts