Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i upgraded to power windows and power locks, have a sound system with a 800w amp in line with a 1.2mf cap. i was wondering what would be a good bat for my 1.5L accent. and how may cc's could it be.. thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
well i have an 05 accent, i havent got a 800 w amp but i do have power windows and door locks, the stardard battery in it is 500 or 550 cca, so anything around this or more should be ok i guess...

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you have the money go with an optima red top.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From what I know, a battery is used only to start the engine (plus a few minor things). The alternator is what you need to upgrade. I've gone through many batteries before a mechanic told me to replace my alternator with one with more amperage.

A large amp with eat even the largest battery, mine did.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You could do high output alternator but I don't think it is really worth it unless you plan to have the system all the way up, your a/c on and playing with your new locks and windows. A battery is used to start the car, but if at any time your car pulls more power then the alternator is putting out your battery tries to pick up the load, they are not that fast as discharging power that is why people add caps. The red top has a lot of cells so you would be able to sit with the car off and listen to the system, and they are good at starting and are able to discharge power a little pit quicker then most other batteries.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well that is not the only way to go just my recommendation.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I went with the optima red top. Helped me out alot.... I run an orion hcca (sucker sucks juice).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will try differnt things, maybe a biger alternator. but i need a new battery anyways. so getting a red top will work for a new bat, and if that dont help any then a new alt will have to be put in...:smoking:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I used to have a big problem with my amps drawing all the juice from everything. So much that my head lights would literally strobe at night with the system up (and dashlights etc). I got a cap and it helped a little bit. The I ran a home made ground kit on the car it helped alot. I went back later and added a new ground to the alternator, it helped A WHOLE LOT. That got rid of almost all the dimming. Then I replaced the battery the optima red top (relocated it in the trunk) and upgraded to 4 gauge wire to the battery. I then removed the capacitor and cant even tell I removed it. My lights only dim after I've been pumping the system for along time with the head lights on and a/c and everything else (boost controller, emanage etc).....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats cool and all, i have a cap too. but my light never dim when i bump it. the charging system is fine the battery just need to be replaced and i was trying to find out the best battery for all the suff i have.. but thanks you guys have been a big help..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Id say just upgrade your alt.. the optima is great but the batt. isnt whats running everything electrical.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I got an optima red top. I run a 2500 watt 5ch amp, and I noticed a big difference, go for the red top, unless your alt is dying, i dont see a point in replacing it, as far as upgrading, I dont think there's another one out there that will put out any more juice and bolt up...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would recommend a stinger sp800 which is an audio performance battery, gel cell that is lightyears ahead of the optima. If you are going to go the normal route then I would recommend the NAPA orbital, it's also a great optima alternative that is avail in both deep cycle and starting. Unless you have another battery, I would recommend a starting battery, not a deep cycle.

I have been running the sp800 for over 2 years now with no problems whatsoever (of course, it's coupled to a stinger sp1700 and a 240 amp alternator.

The alt is not needed for your 800 watt system. if you have plans for future upgrades, then that would be the time to get it done, and to get it done on the hyundai's you just have to go to a local alt/starter rebuild shop in your area and talk with them. They do have the parts to rebuild it with everything needed for an high output alt. If not, then pm or email me and I will go to the place I got mine done. It was 300 and change, and has been going for 3 years at least. The most current draw I have ever had on the car was 1200 amps, and yes, the lights would have dimmed if they would have been on. (3 phoenix gold ms1000's at full peak with a 400 amp draw each. )

but voltage stayed above 12.8 which is good. but it was only for a 5 second burst. the voltage jumped up to 15 right after the burp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by Jsharptooth91
[body]
i will try differnt things, maybe a biger alternator. but i need a new battery anyways. so getting a red top will work for a new bat, and if that dont help any then a new alt will have to be put in...:smoking:
[/body]
Something else you might look into is a capacitor. I run a rockford amp and have power windows, locks, alarm system, and a few other goodies in my '03 Sentra and have had NO problems at all once I installed a 1.2 farad voodoo capacitor. Basically it acts like a small spare battery. When the bass hits hard and draws that extra bit of juice it'll provide that power instead of the lights dimming and whatnot then when the bass isn't hitting as hard it'll build back up. Keeps the load more constant on the power plant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts