Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the cramped engine bay of my LC2, and i realized that if i could more the battery elsewhere, it would open up a huge area for a nice intake filter/heat shield combo. has anyone every moved their battery to the trunk for similar goals? and how would i tie the fuse box and starter wire back with the main power line coming from the back.
thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well usually you just connect the new power wire to the alternator and run it to the trunk THROUGH the interior. Mounting the battery on the passenger side for better weight distrubution (to offset the driver's weight) I'm pretty sure there is a kit you can buy with all necessary stuff for relocation.
Try summit racing.
I've also seen where someone has made a mount and connected the new power wire and the original power wire from at the battery together using large ring terminals and a bolt them together then attach them to the previously mentioned mount. You shouldn't have to touch the fuseblock at all.
Good luck on your project.:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Why only connect it to the alternator. You have a start wire that goes to the starter to turn it on. What do you do with that wire, and what about the wire that comes out of the fuse box?
i dont think going straight to the alternator will work..

·
Registered
687 Posts
A battery relocation is just a little more complicated than moving it to the trunk...

You'll need to keep the battery fully enclosed due to the fact that the battery DOES emmit fumes. You'll also need to run negative cables throughout the trunk area to extend your grounds. Having one long negative cable through the firewall will not be enough.

Howie~

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You'll also need to run negative cables throughout the trunk area to extend your grounds. Having one long negative cable
With the ground you can use any where in the trunk. Just tap into the frame. In the motor bay just use some wire and run it from the motor to the frame. You dont have to run a long gnd wire.

You'll need to keep the battery fully enclosed due to the fact that the battery DOES emmit fumes.
This is only true if you do not have a dry cell battery.

you can also google how to relocate a battery. They have many write ups on how to do it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well,

You do have a point about the dry cell batteries, but it's still safter and there are less things to worry about if you have a fully enclosed battery case instead of a tethered battery. I mean, you dont really need to worry about what you toss back there or worry about much. The cases can handle a lot of abuse.

Howie~

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was looking at the current wiring set up now, and i was thinking of making a thick plastic bracket to act like the original battery post, and attach the factory fusebox and starter wire and new positive lead wire together to a bolt of some sort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts