Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed at autozone (yeah i know i know) the other day they have these fittings by spectre to make your own intake. They also have a Y shaped adapter to add an extra air filter. The fittings come with a paper for the fittings you need for specific cars so its easy to do your own. Neways I decided to look into cars using two air filters (thinking it was crap) and found that some higher hp FI cars use it. Supposedly your insuring that your turbo/super gets all the air it needs.... what do you guys think, its a worth a try i suppose....

·
Registered
631 Posts
You would need two if your flow rates required two. For our cars, even with a turbo or s/c, a good sized (3" inlet filter) would be plenty.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cant hurt though?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i figure its worth a try... I'll report back lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
I doubt you'll notice anything via seat of your pants. Only results would be shown on a dyno, and I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't see a change over what a fresh filter would bring. Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
A properly designed single inlet will flow better than any dual inlet intake I have seen. Theoretically a design that creates a vortex instead of turbulence (like all the ones I have seen to date) may work better but even then it would be a run for your money.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
shawn don't waste your money, if your getting it free, then sure try it, but don't put your hard earned money into that, spend it on your car in a different way, you know wheels / tires, remember every penny counts lol:smoking:

·
Registered
842 Posts
i dunno... i gotta say, i've thought the same thing... only doubling MAF's as well. i've maxed out my MAF several times... and it's 2.5"... and thats only at 8-10psi of boost. rab was running 14, but he never reported maxing it out.

i'm looking to ditch MAF all together though if possible. soon as spring comes around i'm looking to go MAP.

post your results! 8D

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jason have you thought about going with an emanage? It has options for when your maxing out your maf sensor... for example the pressure sensor is designed for those who have maxed out their maf (im going to use it). You can add fuel based on boost... Also with the injector harness it adds dutycycle and pulsewidth to the ecus w/o the ecu knowing about it....

·
Registered
842 Posts
i have thought about it... but in my eyes the maf is creating a restriction that i would like to remove either way. i have an SMT-6 (not hooked up, i wired a harness so i could swap it w/ my SAFCII but i keep the SAFC) but i'm not a fan of how some of the features are used. i wish they made ROM updates for it.

maybe if you have luck with your emanage i'll convert. ;]

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the emanage also lets you swap maf sensors, provided they are the same (being hot film types for us). We can use a 3inch nissan maf...... Just wire it up and the emanage will take care of the rest.... You just input which sensor you swapped to. Btw check out the showroom for pics of my fmic ....

·
Registered
842 Posts
just did... def sexy my mang. < bow >

that's another alternative. good thinking...what percentage increase woulda 3" MAF be (to a 2.5")? +20% ?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think its more around 17-18%, though Im not really good at math lol. Soon I will be able to log all that stuff when i get the freaking cable for my emanage lol I will post up about my maf voltages at what psi. I just so happen to have a 300zx turbo maf sensor laying at my moms house too from my old car :evil:

·
Registered
842 Posts
this is how i got my math...

new - old = difference
3 - 2.5 = .5

difference / old = increase (or decrease) same method as injectors)
.5 / 2.5 = .2

not sure if it's correct anyway though. :eek:gre:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Area of a circle is:

pi x radius squared

so 2.5" is 3.14 x (1.25 x 1.25) = 4.9 sq. in.

3" is 3.14 x (1.5 x 1.5) = 7.1 sq. in.

1) 4.9 * x = 7.1

x = 7.1 / 4.9

x = 1.45

2) x - 1 = 1.45 - 1

= 0.45

= 45/100

= 45%

That's an area increase of 45%.

[Edited by 187sks on Mar 5, 2006 9:25 PM]

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
I've seen Supra's with them, but they were small little ones, a big 3inch pipe and two 2 inch filters.

I call ricer BS on this one. One filter is just fine.
[/body]
Are you sure it was just 1 pipe, some supras are twin turbos...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts