Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm going to be purchasing a Hyundai Tiburon 4 Cylinder soon and I don't know what year to get. Eventually, I would like to run low 14's to high 13's in the 1/4 mile. I plan on doing this by going with a turbocharger or supercharger. Which year Tiburon would be best for my goals? Also, what do you recommend I use: turbocharger or supercharger? Secondly, roughly how much do you think it will cost me to get me those times?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you want best results, go with a turbocharger. You won't be able to get the same results with a supercharger and will spend just as much money getting less power.

All years have either the 1.8 or 2.0, essentially the same motor except for small differences. RD1's (first gens) have MAF based Beta I engines while RD2s (second gens) have MAP based Beta II's. From what I understand, the MAP based cars are a bit easier to boost because of the lack of a MAF sensor, but there are plenty of people who have boosted the MAF based engines and have had excellent results.

As for price, it depends on whether you go with a complete kit or whether you custom build it using sourced parts. I'd recomend learning a lot more about forced induction before attempting either. Check the Forced Induction section, there's TONS of good information there.

[Edited by DynastyAccent on Nov 8, 2005 9:23 PM]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks. So the times are very possible? Quick question, what are all of the years for all of the generations?

Also, I've seen a couple videos of turbo Accent's and they seem to be pretty quick. Do you think I would be better off getting an Accent? Which has more potential? Well, when it comes down to it, what do you think would be the best OVERALL Hyundai model for boost? The only requirement is that it gets good gas mileage (No V6's. :().

Thanks.

[Edited by SoCalLove on Nov 8, 2005 10:07 PM]

[Edited by SoCalLove on Nov 8, 2005 10:10 PM]

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
If you have a pretty good supply of money Id say get an accent used (cheap), swap in the 2.0 from a tiburon or elantra (relativly cheap, then you could sale the alpha motor), and then boost that motor (not so cheap if you do it right). Thats an easy 13sec car if you can get traction. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prefer not to do an engine swap if possible because I've never done one before. Thanks for the reply. So do you think that the Tiburon or Elantra 4 Cyl. motors would have the most potential?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Its something that can be argued quite a bit. I say the Tib has a better engine platform to start out with since its bigger with more power already. However the accent is much lighter, so it has the potential to be fast even with the small 1.5 or even 1.6 motor. You can make either one fast..... If I had lots of money I would do a beta swap in an accent then boost it. If I was starting over with a whole other car I would probably buy a tib with a 2.0 and boost it. I like the looks alot more than the accents, though I love my accent. Either way if your looking for low 1/4 times your going to have do more than just throw a turbo on, they will both need internals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks. I may just go with the Accent because the Hatchback look is really growing on me. Anyways, how much do you think I'll be spending overall to get it to run low 14's/high 13's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The accent is definitely the easiest car to get into the 13's, as it has one major advantage over the tiburon: weight. They only weigh right around 2100 pounds with a full interior, no a/c, no p/s, whereas the tiburon is up around 2600 at the lightest. A simple small $1500 turbo kit can probably get you close to your power goals and be reasonably reliable, if you know where to shop (ebay, junkyards) and can do a lot of the work yourself and dont mind using used parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts