Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 accent GSI. I have had a whiteline rear sway bar for a long time. Gives a very neutral feel. No understeer/oversteer. I bought a shark racing front strut for my car 40$ as expected i got more understeer not a lot but noticeable. I expected it as the stiffest end will lose traction first. I'm going to try puttign the rear sway bar on the hard setting should even it out a bit.

What do you think just take the front strut off?

·
Registered
737 Posts
a strut tower brace shouldn't have made any difference in the balance of the car since all it is doing is preventing some flex in the strut towers.

In theory in very weak chasis' it can help keep your alignment even under load. What I mean by this is your car goes through a number of different camber/caster and toe changes as your car loads the suspension, bracing the strut towers can minimize this effect. There isn't really a downfall to making a chasis stiffer besides weight.

I use the evofusion braces just because they were on the car but if I was more concerned about weight they would have to come off. They may work in stiffening the chasis but i've never noticed a difference in handling because of them. With a newer chasis you shouldn't have much deflection anyway so its not making much difference.

your tires, springs, struts and sway bars will all have an immediate effect on handling(sometimes bad if done wrong).

Fwd vehicles understeer more than most because most of the weight of the car is on the front wheels and you have to do all the work with the front tires, apply power, steer and brake somtimes a combination of them.

adding a rear sway bar helps by making the rear end do more of the work instead of just following where the front goes.

The more rear roll stiffness you have vs front roll stiffness the more the car will want to rotate that end first while turning. there are many other variables but this is a start.

You can also achieve this same effect with higher rear tire pressures or higher rear spring rates(a sway bar is a type of spring)

On a front wheel drive car I like to refer to it as ass dragging because in reality that is what is happening most of the time in a turn.

I use a slightly different method than most but it matches my driving style a little better.

I run my rear tire pressures much lower than the front anywhere from 24-28 rear vs 34-36 front and set up the rear of the car to be very stiff: full stiff on the rear bar, no compliance in the poly bushings, full stiff on the rear shocks, with stiffer springs in the rear and not nearly as much negative camber as the front. When driving into turns I trail brake which keeps the weight of the car on the front tires aiding traction for the front and helps rotate the rear.

Now in autox it works pretty darn good, a little scary sometimes and a spin every once in a while is pretty common.

On the street I don't try to run it that way, it will get you in trouble very quickly on rough roads or rainy days.

A good street setup for an experienced driver would be:
good struts(konis)
slightly stiffer springs that are almost stock ride height
an adjustable rear sway bar
1.5-2.0 degrees of camber up front/ zero toe
.5-1.0 degrees of camber in back/zero toe
some damn good tires

This setup would allow good suspension travel over rough roads and wouldn't be too harsh with stock bushings. It would still have some body roll but that can't be helped on a street setup and could be cured by stiffer spring rates. You could tailor the alignment to your needs and you would have some adjustment in the shocks and rear sway bar for fine tuning.

this is my dream setup for my daily driver so hopefully in the near future i'll be able to complete it.

Hopefully everyone has read this far down because i'm going to make a major point right now.

I have been beaten this season by cars that aren't nearly as prepped as mine but the drivers would kill me in almost any car. Learn to drive your car and it will make more difference than anything else you do. The little things matter the most, you can completely change the attitude of the car with just tire pressures and a change in driving style.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, great info thx for the tips. I'll play with tire pressure next and wait off to get springs and koni yellows next year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts