Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a 2001 hyundai accent GS 1.6L and want to know the best way to get enough power to beat a chevy lumina (1996 sedan with 160hp stock) right now still have stock everything except spark plugs (NGK Iridium IX) and the previous owner was an 85 year old lady didnt take care of it, so it probably doesnt even have the stock 105 hp. looking to spend no more than $1500. thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
You may be able to piece together everything to turbo it for under $1500 as long as you can do it yourself.

The only way to do it for sure for that price is nitrous which isn't a bad option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
so in both situations I would need a high flow exhaust system right? I doubt the amount of nitrous I would need to break 170 hp would be able to exit my engine fast enough with a stock exhaust and I donno much about this stuff but I know exhaust pressure build up is probably is not the path to more power. Also it would only be a temporary fix, after the N2O is gone I wouldn't be able to do much about keeping him behind me and from what I've read here, the turbos are not too reliable with the lag and stuff unless tuned just right but I think the turbo
could be worth a try. At least it would be safer on my engine and with luck it will be consistent.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
A better breathing engine always helps regardless of anything else.

You can hit 170hp on nitrous for plenty long enough to run out of gears. Even on spray you can't go over 135mph on the stock transmission unless you raise your rev limiter.

$1500 is a tight budget to turbo the car but with some good finds at the wreckers and on ebay you could do it. Significantly modifying your car will almost always make it somewhat less reliable than stock, and with a turbo that's no exception. It can be made pretty reliable though. Your biggest out of pocket expense is likely to be the tuning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
737 Posts
170 crank hp with a more realistic 15% drivetrain loss is about 144-145 wheel hp.

This could be difficult with only 1500 bucks

you do have a weight advantage going for you since your accent weighs in at around 2200-2300 lbs and a lumina is probably close to 3000 or more(just a guesstimate).

if a drag race is all your worried about i'd use nitrous as my platform. A homebrew turbo will suck your budget dry because of all the detail work and getting it to run as well as stock is a hard thing to do. With nitrous you could use the car in near stock condition until you needed the extra oomph.

A 50hp kit should work with stock fuel components and I would suggest a wet kit since there isn't a good way to hook up a dry kit in the hyundais. This would add fuel only when you are spraying.

An exhaust system would definately help things out and a cheap intake won't hurt either and it will give you a good place to put a nitrous nozzle. Tires make a big difference in anything you do so i'd invest in some good sticky ones. Hopefully the stock pressure plate would hold up to the torque but its risky at those power levels, mine wasn't able to provide enough clamp at around 130 lb/ft.

With said engine modifications you could muster up around 120-130 whp with similar torque numbers maybe a little higher. This would get you near you goal hp range and you would have a car that ran like stock when not spraying.

i'd like to give you more info but i'd suggest checking out the nitrous oxide forum for that.

Of course this is only my suggestion, you should still do some research on your own and see what sounds best to you.

And as a final point drive, drive, drive, drive as much as possible. Nothing is more valuable then practice behind the wheel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Beta swap??? I mean it's gonna get you to about 140hp with minor bolt on mods in a light ass car like the accent you'd smoke a lumina.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beta swap??? I mean it's gonna get you to about 140hp with minor bolt on mods in a light ass car like the accent you'd smoke a lumina.
beta swap and mod for $1500? is that even realistic? i said earlier that i donno much about this kind of stuff. meaning that the only things ive done to my cars engine were clean it, and change my spark plugs. i doubt i can swap an engine or mod it without serious help

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

tow it behind 150 horses
dennis... you are not helping, the lumina has 160hp stock...now what exactly would i accomplish by towing it behind a car with only 150hp? Now it could just be me but I thought that I would only create drag and slow the car down even more. But like I said, it could just be me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
increase the air intake, cool the engine more efficiently, lose as much weight from the interior as possible, install bigger injectors, install a shift kit, change out the gears in the tranny, install aftermarket cams and pistons, remove AC/power steering

dunno where to start

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Ok, mathematically speaking:

You:
2001 Accent GS 1.6l
105hp
106lb/ft
2340 lbs
22.28lbs/hp
22.08lbs/lbf

Them:
1996 Lumina Sedan
160hp
185lb/ft
3360 lbs
21.00lbs/hp
18.16lbs/lbf

To equal the power to weight ratio of the Lumina you would need 111.43hp.

To equal the torque to weight ratio you would need 128.85lb/ft.

Those numbers are at the flywheel. Corrected for wheel horsepower you would need about 92.5whp and 107wlbf.

Simple mods will get you to that point. With a header, exhaust, and a SRI I got 99whp, 109lb/ft out of my 2003 1.6l on the dyno.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so in theory i could beat him with hardly anything

so all i would need (in theory) is an sri and exhaust system? and assuming that my car still has the 105hp and that being owned by an 85 year old lady who never took good care of it will not change any thing. if so that would be sweet!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
As it sits it's a driver's race. Intake, header, and full exhaust and it's still a driver's race but it would be your race to lose as you would have the advantage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
some parts you can change/upgrade if your car has been neglected:

1.) Fuel Filter (just get an OEM one)
2.) Air Filter (good time to upgrade to something like CAI)
3.) Spark Plugs - you already did this :p

Maybe that will get those 105 horses back :)

for $1500, maybe you can get a cheap used turbo kit. you can scavenge the parts on your own. if you are buying a used turbo, don't buy it off from someone who will be hard to track later on. you're not sure how long a used turbo will last. if you want to buy a 2nd hand turbo charger, buy it from a salvage yard who can give you a warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My friend lost alot more than the race...

so I decided to race my friend who drives the lumina just to see how bad I would lose, we both start good, he pulls ahead of me and about halfway through the race I hear a loud grinding noise and I look over and see the lumina slowing down and there is a thick black smoke coming out from under the hood and also out of the exhaust so I slow down with him cuz I knew it wasn't good, he stops in an empty parking lot and gets out of the car, and looks at me and says "****, my dad is going to kill me if he finds out we were racing when this happened" and we called AAA and by the time they arrived the smoke was gone but I gave my friend a ride home and we told the AAA guy and my friends dad that we had been driving on the highway all day and we thought that it had overheated and somthing broke so we pulled off into the parking lot. And my friend is not in trouble but will be driving an old van for a while. Not sure exactly what happened really, hood of the lumina was way too hot to get it open. So I'm guessing one of his plastic fluid resivours leaked or was melted and cought on fire on contact with the engine block or exhaust but I don't have a clue as to the noise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my friend's uncle is a mechanic

so yeah... i didnt know my friends uncle was a mechanic and would be working on the car, he said that the coolant resivor was designed to sit on top of a big, heat shield type thingy on the very top of the engine and the bottom of the resivor melted and the engine ran out of coolant and it defiantly f**Ked up the engine and i think he said somthing about the head gasket breaking and oil got into the cylinders causing the smoke. and the loud grinding noise and he said that the engine isnt worth repairing so i donno if he will get a new car but i might try to aim a new car choice towards a Hyundai, and i know he wont be racing it again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts