Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, this is my first post on here...

anyways, i was wondering if anybody can show me how to do a better launch for a hyundai tiburon 06 auto...

yes, i know.. after getting the car i regret that i got a automatic but oh well...

i have an idea on how to like you put it into neutral and have the left foot on for the brakes. then you rev the gas and when it turns green shift to drive and floor it.. most for some reason, i don't think that is working out for me too well..

i went to the tracks last night for the first time. my best score i could get was like 16.4 so if anybody know's how to do a better launch for an automatic would be great. by the way everything is stock so its pretty slow but trying to do things to make it faster!

·
Registered
241 Posts
youngfolife said:
i have an idea on how to like you put it into neutral and have the left foot on for the brakes. then you rev the gas and when it turns green shift to drive and floor it.
OMG! Doing that will destroy your transmission very quickly. NEVER shift into reverse or drive from neutral with the engine reving any higher than idle.

To launch an automatic, put it in drive, hold your left foot on the brake and use your right foot to bring the rpms up to about 2000-rpm. When the light goes green, lift off the brake and floor the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NovaResource said:
OMG! Doing that will destroy your transmission very quickly. NEVER shift into reverse or drive from neutral with the engine reving any higher than idle.

To launch an automatic, put it in drive, hold your left foot on the brake and use your right foot to bring the rpms up to about 2000-rpm. When the light goes green, lift off the brake and floor the car.
thanks... i didn't think it would mess up the transmission..

my friend told me thats the best way to launch an automatic.

·
Registered
686 Posts
your friend wants to buy you a car ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
WytchDctr said:
are you reving it up in neutral then putting it in D holding those rpms??????
alright you have the main idea
but heres the deal

when you put it in neautral dont hit the brakes
just hit the gas, floor it even, then switch it into drive, don't hit the brakes to change just do it, then you should have a good start.

·
Registered
241 Posts
cardboardmanx said:
but heres the deal

just hit the gas, floor it even, then switch it into drive, don't hit the brakes to change just do it, then you should have a good start.
^^^^ The person above is an idiot. DO NOT floor the accelerator in neutral and then shift into gear. You will destroy your transmission.

·
Registered
169 Posts
naw man, not if you want to buy the guy a new car or trans. Dont listen to cardboardmanx, or anyone that says just pop it into Drive, auto's are NOT like standards where you can "dump the clutch"(at a proper rpm for the car!!!) and take off that way.

If you want to launch or even race a car dude, get a standard:cool:

But anyway, the best way for an auto is:
1. If the car has got power brakes, you could apply the brake-torquing technique even better. At the starting line, shift your auto gearbox into neutral and floor the brake pedal with your left foot. Rev the engine once and quickly get off the throttle. You will feel the brake pedal sink further to the floor. This will increases the braking force. Now shift back into gear. You will now be able to rev up the engine even higher against the torque converter.

2. That's because the brake-torque launch is an automatic specialty. This launch involves keeping the car stationary by flooring the brakes with the left foot, while using the right foot to rev up the engine against the torque converter. In technical terms, this preloads the entire drivetrain with the stress of a launch, allowing the engine to rev closer to its power and torque peaks at the starting line. Brake-torquing is also beneficial for turbocharged engines as it allows boost to build up before the launch, reducing turbo lag. The only problem is that there is a lot of stress on the transmission, and the heat build-up can destroy your automatic gearbox. Unless your car has too much power for the tires to handle, a brake-torque launch usually will not spin the wheels. This is because the automatic transmission absorbs the shock by design, and brake-torquing actually reduces stress on the rest of the drivetrain. Instead of a sudden massive load, the drivetrain has the torque applied slower instead of one huge jolt.

Hope that helps man

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
but heres the deal

Thanks for telling me how to get a good start on tearing an automatic apart. That is the fastest way to blow up an auto, period. :mad:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ouch...

Neutral clutching will blow your tranny like a cheap condom. I love my Automatic and they hold sooooo much more power stock than manual cars. Just get yourself a nice shift kit and and nice 3200 rpm stall torque converter and you'll be happy.

Brake launching isnt' good for your car but neither is launching. Once you put a t/c or s/c, you'll notice that you'll jump the line faster than any standard beacuse you can build boost while they're just reving their engine!

Howie~

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
WytchDctr said:
Thanks for telling me how to get a good start on tearing an automatic apart. That is the fastest way to blow up an auto, period. :mad:
I'll concur with this. It is called a "Neutral Drop," and the shock-loading induced by it can easily damge or destroy an aut transmission. Not specifically a Hyundai transmission; it will do in ANY transmission of ANY make.

^^^DO NOT PERFORM THIS UNDER ANY CIRSUMSTANCES: IT WILL LEAD TO DAMAGE OF YOUR TRANSMISSION.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Asian_907 said:
Ouch...

Neutral clutching will blow your tranny like a cheap condom. I love my Automatic and they hold sooooo much more power stock than manual cars. Just get yourself a nice shift kit and and nice 3200 rpm stall torque converter and you'll be happy.

Brake launching isnt' good for your car but neither is launching. Once you put a t/c or s/c, you'll notice that you'll jump the line faster than any standard beacuse you can build boost while they're just reving their engine!

Howie~
Say WHAT?! Your joking right? Who the hell told you that? If Autos held sooo much more power than Manuals why does everyone who knows how to drive drives a manual...maybe the gearing is a bit different, but sorry to say manuals got better performance, MPG, ...just better...

·
Registered
169 Posts
AGREE^^^:D It just feels better, especially when you goto drive an auto after driving a standard. Auto's are boring, standard your actually driving the car. Plus cars are cheaper when you buy them from a dealership with a standard trans.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you want to neutral drop get an old-school vertigate style tranny and some really heavy anti-shock gear lube. Drop away my friend! As for a regular automatic, I have intentionally destroyed one neutral dropping it like that, so yes, I know for a fact it will drestroy it. Only took about 10 drops like that before it jammed, broke the engine mounts, and then made the engine turn sideways in the bay. Ah, the good ol' Taurus.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well first while your in neutral rev it all the way to the redline. Then put it in drive...Its the quickest way to lose a transmission...Not to mention other mechanical failures like broken mounts and possible engine damage.:D

Well I drove my girlfriend's 07 Sonata at the track. I loaded it up to 1000 rpms. I could've of loaded to 1500-2000 rpms but it wasn't my car. The little 2.4L ran 16.91 in the 1/4. :eek: "bone stock"

·
Registered
81 Posts
so now you've outed the "new car"! Do bullet-holes add drag?
:eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
dobedotts said:
so now you've outed the "new car"! Do bullet-holes add drag?
:eek:
They were just jealous of the new Sonata. Had to put a bullet into it to slow it down.:mad: Hopefully with exhaust and filter 16.7's-16.8's :rolleyes:

·
Registered
687 Posts
fintile said:
Say WHAT?! Your joking right? Who the hell told you that? If Autos held sooo much more power than Manuals why does everyone who knows how to drive drives a manual...maybe the gearing is a bit different, but sorry to say manuals got better performance, MPG, ...just better...
Uhm...

It's actually really true. Stock for stock, an automatic will hold more horsepower and torque, and they're more reliable if maintained. I know through experience that an automatic can, and will beat a manual with the same engine mods but it will need some work like a aftermarket shift kit, a high stall torque converter and a tranmission fluid cooler.

Pure performance wise, how can you compare against a computer controled shift poitns compared to a human controled shift points? All the shifting will be done exact and crisper than any human can do. Drag cars are automatic as well as a lot of muslce cars. Just because high school kids think manuals are better doesn't mean that they are.

Howie~

P.S. Brake boosting on any turbocharged auto KILLS a manual dump ANYday. Less damage on the engine and clutch too!y

1 - 20 of 41 Posts