Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really interested in getting better MPG out of my accent. What should I turn to?

I've read that the short ram intake or cold air intake could help. What would be best? Or would buying a K&N filter for the stock air intake setup be just as good?

thanks all

·
Registered
686 Posts
intake can go both ways, can save you gas, but if your hard on the pedal it's not gonna do so well.

best fix for mpg is your foot, shift at lower rpms, don't drive hard. check your tire air pressure etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am really interested in getting better MPG out of my accent. What should I turn to?

I've read that the short ram intake or cold air intake could help. What would be best? Or would buying a K&N filter for the stock air intake setup be just as good?

thanks all
Forget about those mods as the only time you'll see greater engine efficiency with them is if you're hammering the throttle which is not what you want in fuel economy driving. You can find lots of information over at the forums at CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling

Some of the best things you can do is pump up the air pressure in your tires to at least the max. sidewall rating printed on the tire and keep your speeds at the lowest RPM in overdrive that you can. If you are going to be idling for more than about 10 seconds, shut the motor off. If you must idle, put the transmission in neutral as it will burn slightly less gas. Also, drive as if you have no brakes. Every time you apply the brake, you've just burned additional gas.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't know about that max tire pressure statement... that sounds dangerous.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know about that max tire pressure statement... that sounds dangerous.:eek:
Not dangerous. The max sidewall is rated for the absolute maximum pressure at the tires absolute maximum load. Unless the car is towing more than this amount, the max sidewall is completely safe. If you are used to PSI in the 30's or lower, you will definitely feel a harsher ride when hitting road anomalies and this is the reason a vehicle manufacturer will recommend 32 or 35 PSI on the door jamb. You can also expect there will be a bit more strut wear, but you may find the car actually handles better and the tires last longer in addition to the mileage gain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the link to that forum! its awesome!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

thanks all
contact Powerchip

ask for Travis.

They will be able to get you a fully re-maped ECU just let them know your looking for better MPG and they can get you a tuned plug and play ecu. They also are able to enhance the performance by advancing the timming at certain rpms at full throttle too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The price of the Powerchip is $490.00 USD.

ouch man. ouch!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Try driving slower and using the throttle sparingly in general. I normally average 23-25mpg in my truck. A few weeks ago I got to drive back from Indiana through the snow storm that blanketed most of Ohio and WVa and was forced to drive 60mph or slower for the majority of my trip, and netted 28.4mpg for the 506 miles between fillups in Lawrenceburg, IN and Frederick, MD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts