Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2002 Hyundai Accent 58,200 miles. No engine mods w/drop in K&N air filter.
I just finished getting back from the dealer, spending a total of $640.00usd.

Symptoms: Trouble pumping gas (pump kicks back as if
tank is full). CEL. Code P1401= Diagnostic Module/Tank Leak (read @autozone)

I suspected that the issue was with the Charcoal Canister and the Diagnostic Module thanks to the posts made here, but was in shock when I called and got the prices for the parts. Charcoal Canister $130.64 & Diagnostic module plus kit $295.32. Kit includes new hoses, clamps, sheild and bracket. I couldn't put myself through just buying these expensive parts to replace them without getting it tested. I was scared that I would replace a part that didn't need to be replaced. I've read that toping of your tank is what causes this issue. I do fill up the tank most of the time that I pump gas but not to the point where I try to fill it up the tank's neck too. Anyway, just wanted to put this on here to make you aware of the issue. I doubt my driving habits caused this or maybe we should just expect this to happen every (+) or (-) 60,000 miles. Just so happens its also time the Timing Belt is due to be replaced. If anyone has suggestions on how to avoid this plz let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guess your problem wasn't so scary as you described :) First of all you should try to check EVAP canister purge solenoid valve. If it stuck open your engine will suck all air from the fuel tank. And it isn't worth of 640 bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guess your problem wasn't so scary as you described :) First of all you should try to check EVAP canister purge solenoid valve. If it stuck open your engine will suck all air from the fuel tank. And it isn't worth of 640 bucks.
Were you able to do take the EVAP canister out easily? I am planning to look under there but was wondering if I can do it with a full tank of gas?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have that issue at times, maybe a quarter of the time or so when filling. I am some one who likes to do the top off when i know its gunna be a long journey so maybe it's the cause. I don't have the diagnostic module for tank leakage though, it was removed and the elantra equivalent, Close canister something or other was put in its place to get rid of check engine lights that I was getting from my beta swap..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts