Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering purchasing a big bore throttle body. I dicussed it with a friend and he suggested just boring out the stock throttle body. I thought in my head, "wow, that would be cheaper. But which will get better performance?" I'd rather get it right the first time instead of finding out that I should have bought it or I should have listened to my friend. Now I doubting if I should do anything. If I were to do something with the throttle body, what would you guys suggest?

Buying a big bore throttle body or just boring out the stock one? :??:

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You can bore the stock one, but you'd need a bigger butterfly valve. Id say buy a stock one from a wrecking yard, and f with that one, so if your car runs like crap, you can switch them back.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As was already stated above you'd need to match the bigger bore with a larger butterfly; I've found it best to leave it to the experts since even a slight gap between the butterfly and bore can cause an air leak and make the car run crappy.

I got my BBTB from RPW in Australia. They work on an exchange basis. Depending on your vehicle you may also have to port-match the plenum bore to see any noticeable improvement in performance. On my Accent, RPW found while dismantling my old TB that my intake plenum bore would still present a restriction even with the BBTB installed so they had to bore out the plenum also.

Cheers, Harm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts