Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have Seen People Talk About Big Turbos And Small Turbo's whats the diff?

Can You Get Like A Medium Turbo?

And I Think It Was Wired_One That Said His Turbo Peaked At 90km (approx 55mph give or take a mile or 2) what does that mean also? is it good or bad?

[Edited by The_Dead_One on Sep 22, 2004 12:17 AM]

·
Registered
278 Posts
hay dead one. im prolly ansyering your questions faster than anyone else coz i have no car and consequently no job at the moment, and iv been spending a lot of time searching this site to see what i can learn. (and try to help if anyone asks)
fingers crossed for friday.(but iv been saying that for a month)
anyway, simply put; small turbos spool fast,but produce small pressure, big turbos can produce more power, but they take longer to spool.
spool time is the amount of time the turbo takes produce pressure in the intake after the exhaust starts to spin the turbine.
tdo4 is prolly the most common for your application coz they are "medium" sized, they are cheap and common (in oz anyway). they come from WRX's

[Edited by wired_one on Sep 22, 2004 1:57 AM]

·
Registered
86 Posts
before you ask questions about somthing, you really should know somthing about turbos. if you dont know spooling is, you really need to search google for basic comprehensin of force induction and how they work.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
[body]turbo the 1.5 alpha in a 5sp manual and you should have about 90-100kw at the wheels, and in such a light car, thats a street wepon...
[/body]
I don't want to sound like an ass, but you need more than 100kw in your light car...unless your car weighs about 1000lbs.

And you definitely need to read up on turbos before choosing which turbo to go with...unless, of course, you're a ricer. ;):

·
Registered
589 Posts
imho, td04's are a small turbo, something like a T25 is a medium. Spooling is when a turbo's turbine is coming up to speed to create positive air pressure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by scottsee
[body]
before you ask questions about somthing, you really should know somthing about turbos. if you dont know spooling is, you really need to search google for basic comprehensin of force induction and how they work.
[/body]
dont mean to sound like an ass but umm if i knew about turbos and everything i really wouldnt need to ask questions cos i would know the answer..
just something to think over 8D

·
Registered
278 Posts
dood. we are(with the exeption of the sh!t stirers) all hear to lern. but that^^^ is good advice.
try this

there is a bunch of basic usefull info on there

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

and the simplest turbo setup ever, good basic info.

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts