Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ever so Old E-macine is stuttering again,

The operating system Hence..XP Was so unstable and consuming large amount's of ram to just stay at idle
I have dual 128MB Ram stick's on my motherboard..256MB.

But Whenever i'm on the computer running some minor program's or applications',
A Small window on the lower right where the time is say's my virtual memory is Too Low,

and to make it worse, I'd thought that rebooting the computer with My XP CD Would clea some thing's out but During the rebooting process,the damn window come's out again saying my virtual memopry is too low and freeze's the compyuter which halt's the rebooting process,

I'm guessing that I Don't have enough RAM on My Computer,
so i'm about to head out to micro center and buy some more ram..probably a 512MB Stick...my motherboard can handle up to 1 GIGZ.
What can be the cause of this??

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the cause: its an e-machines:dead:
j/k

what type of processor do you have, my computer used to do that a while back and it turned out to be bad memory sticks. I replaced them and now it runs fine...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Win XP requires 128 MB........256 is BARE minimum, 512 or more is ideal, but.........

Virtual memory is not physical sticks of RAM, it's allocated space on your hard drive that Windows uses as memory. Since it's on the HDD, it's not as fast as physical RAM.
If you're low on that, it's one of two things.

1. You're out of disk space on your hard drive, free some up first.
2. Something's F'ed with the settings, like you, another person, or a virus.

Never run your HDD below 1 gig of free space. This gives you room for virtual memory, and a little bit to fudge with.

Tell me how much free space your computer is reporting.

To view virtual memory settings, right click my computer, properties, performance tab, virtual memory button. Ideally, I don't let Windows manage it for me. I set it to 125 percent of what my physical memory is, i.e. if I have 512 MB of RAM, a virtual mem size of 768 - 900 MB would be enough.

Letting Windows manage your virtual memory can slow things down. Why? Because it resizes it to meet it's needs. Resizing a swap file takes time, and leaves fragments behind........which in turn slows data access down.

[Edited by BlackTibby on Sep 28, 2004 11:27 AM]

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's for the Expert Info BLKTBY..Hence your avatar,:)

well, i have a couple of initial D Anime's on the hard drive that are about 600 to 700 MB's Each.

I'm assuming this is what's slowing down my PC,

I Run Disk Defrag often and it My Computer State's i have about 65% Disk Space,
My Hard drive is old..10GB,

So What do i have to do to not let window's manage my Memory?
how do i do that?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Windows manages virtual memoy by default. I don't allow it to. I do what I mentioned in the above post. If you have that much hard disk space free, you may have a virus. Go here http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan and run a virus scan on My Computer (you'll have to use the "click here to continue without subscribing "link". You'll have to click yes when it ask if you want to install the plugin. Make sure the Auto-Clean button is check. It will take a little while.......let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay so if my computer has about 256 meg's of ram,
and hard drive space has 11.7 gig's left out of 14.2 Gig's total hard drive space

What number should i put on the initial size "amount of ram"
and the "maximum size of ram"??

Right now my CPU State's That My CPU's physical Mempoy is about 25K
Available Memory is about 10K
Cache is 868214

Kernel memory
total:17752
paged:13660
Nonpaged:4092

I Have absolutely no program's other than the default window's program's to keep the cpu running

Right now i have the following processe's
explorer
wanmpsvc..??
acsd
spoolsv
svchost
svchost
svchost
svchost
isass
services
winlogin
csrss
smss
taskmgr
system
system idle process

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by bizzare
[body]
the cause: its an e-machines:dead:
j/k

what type of processor do you have, my computer used to do that a while back and it turned out to be bad memory sticks. I replaced them and now it runs fine...
[/body]

Hah!! When you say my E-machine's is crap you mean my PC Case which is the only E Thing about it,
I Have a rebuilt PC on a e-machine's case so its no longer a emachines,

Think of it as a 4G63T On an accent:)

New motherboard
new..eerr used pentium III 700Mhz Processor out of the old crappy 600MHZ Celeron Processor
Dual centon 128 MB Memory sticks..motherboard can handle up to 1 gig:)..but can't afford 512's!!X(
still have the crappy old Seagate 14Gig hard driveX(
16X DVD Rom player installed by Moi..mad dog,
slapped on a used but useable voodoo 3 3dfx 16MB Graphic's card for modest games from the utterly useless intel 4MB chipset Graphic's Driver,

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
TAK,

Your problem is your hardware. Your harwdware just barely meets the minimum requirements to install XP........add software in that taxes the CPU or RAM in the least bit and you'll kill it.

Try going back to Win2k, Win 98 or doing some more upgrading. Use a 1.0 Ghz CPU, 512 RAM. If you're an advanced user, try killing some of the memory hogging features of XP, like system restore, clear type fonts, the Fisher Price theme, animated menus and shadows and pointer shadows. Any programs that auto-load at startup will be using needed memory too, so kill any applications you can that start when windows starts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts